Thursday, July 04, 2019

The 70273 Project Update


Have you been following the 70273 project? Remember this project started by Jeanne Hewell-Chambers?
I contributed by making some blocks for this project in 2017 (which you can see here) and was proud to be added to the list of Clarions.


70,273 Middling
And when the idea still had me by the throat so to speak, I made a Middling quilt to donate to this textile memorial. I finished the hand stitched XX's and put it in the mail in March 2019. My quilt commemorated 53 lives lost.
It was an emotional project to stitch, and many hours were spent thinking about this quilt, this project, this time (World War 2) in human history, and the intergenerational effects of trauma on families and societies.

Well, here is the project update...
this amazing and very ambitious goal of Jeanne's has been met! 
You can read all about it here.
Even through her personal struggle to keep her eyesight, her vision for the 70273 project materialized. 
Thank you to Jeanne for all her creativity, commitment, and hard work! This was an inspired and ambitious undertaking, it became an amazing story of effort worldwide, and I hope to be able to see these incredible quilts exhibited together some day




Happy July 4th to my American readers! 

And thank you to those around the world who are working to protect our freedoms and keep us safe!

4 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What an incredible project!

Janet O. said...

I love your Middling quilt. I never got one of those made, though I pondered it. I just did a couple of batches of blocks.
It is amazing what she undertook and accomplished with this project, and I, too, hope to see a show of it someday.
Amen to your last statement!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous news that the goal was met!!

Kaja said...

This was such an amazing project - hopefully we will all get a chance to see it some day.