Wednesday, May 22, 2019

UFO - On Ringo Lake

Some progress is finally made on this month's UFO.
Yes, I know the month is more than half over, but it took a while to get everything organized. I purchased, washed and pieced the backing yardage, and found it was 5" too short (grrrrr). I pieced a length of FQ scraps to add to the backing, bought the batting and finally got everything ready to pin baste. 
Basting is a fairly boring job so I tend to procrastinate the task. I don't like to spray baste because I do not have a "well ventilated room" and I do not want to inhale those glue fumes. So I do it the tedious way... with pins.


I spy a piecing error!!
As I was listening to music and about half way finished, I noticed a piecing error right in the middle of the quilt. I said something like "fiddle dee dee" (as I learned from my friend Gail!) 
Seriously, how could I miss that after all the time I had spent piecing blocks, and putting the quilt top together, and enjoying it hanging on the design wall?!?
I had already repaired an error in piecing and I could not believe there was another one. I was not going to undo all those pins and get the seam ripper out to fix it. I decided I will either applique a triangle on top after it is quilted or maybe even leave it as is!
Me discovering this error was a sight that no one should ever see, or hear, although my kids think a video of that might have gone viral on the internet! Fiddle dee dee!


Moving right along...
once I calmed down, I selected some quilting threads. Why do I have 4 very similar spools of blue thread?? Time to use up this thread! I wound some bobbins and started quilting my usual stitch-in-the-ditch grid to stabilize the 3 layers. 


Ahhhh.... back in my happy place again!

20 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Just leave that error alone. I'm betting no one else will ever notice it (unless you point it out).

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would only fix that error if it really really bothers you - otherwise really is anyone going to notice it?

Sherrill said...

Oooo, I just LOVE your colors! Can't wait to see it all wrapped up.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

At least you discovered it now so you can decide if you want to fix it or not. Looks great to me!

Marie said...

I vote for 'leave it as it is'. It will be fun for someone to find when they crawl under it for a snooze, if they even do! Beautiful quilt.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Absolutely beautiful!

piecefulwendy said...

I'd just leave that little design twist. It's part of the story of the quilt, unless it bugs you so much that you just need to fix it. I love the colors of your quilt, Kathy. It's a beauty!

MissPat said...

At this point I would leave the boo-boo, but I know how hard that is for you. It will be lovely no matter what you do and hardly anyone would notice the hiccup.
Pat

Sarah Aldrich said...

Appliqué the triangle. Otherwise you will see that spot every time you look at the quilt. It’s lovely by the way. I love your color choices.

Mary said...

Applique over the book boo? I found 2 of yhe exact same fabrics next to each other in my latest piecing. Saw it as I was quilting, Don't tell, let them find it. Oops, On the viral thought.

Louise said...

Well, fiddle-dee-dee! That's NOT what I say when I find errors in my own piecing. Only you can decide how much it bugs you :)

hip roof barn said...

Your quilt is beautiful just the way it is. My mom use to tell me that it was traditional to leave a flawed patch, called a "God's Patch," in a quilt. This patch was meant to show the humility of the quilter as only God can make something that is perfect and a quilter would not want to assume that they could be god-like by making a perfect quilt. I have made a quilts composed entirely of God Patches. :)

Laura said...

Unless it will drive you to insanity, I also vote for leaving the boo-boo. It really isn't that noticeable, and I think it is fun. Years from now, when the quilt will be studied, folks will wonder why this triangle was left. Was it a design choice? Did the scrappy quilter use up what she had? Was it a boo-boo? They will never know, and you can laugh from the beyond. :)

Deb A said...

I think it should be an I Spy the error quilt.... will keep people busy for hours trying to find it! Pretty quilt and great job. Would love to see a video of you finding that mistake! I agree with your kids - would go viral!

Deanna W said...

You are just making all of us feel better...leave it there and quilt around it!!

Robin said...

You could embroider, "Made you look!" right by it. Ha! Ha! Ha!
I recently found a major mistake in a small quilt that I've displayed for years. It was really hard to see and those I asked to find the mistake had a very hard time finding it. It is on one of my welsh quilts that is intricately quilted so I don't relish the thought of unpicking, repairing, and requilting - argh! I'm still thinking about it. I

Karrin Hurd said...

I sewed an entire 2 rows on wrong this week and took it all out. I’d just leave your error though as I wouldn’t have seen yours until you pointed it out! Great quilt though!

Janet O. said...

My Mom was hand quilting a Drunkard's Path when she realized she had turned some of her curved pieces in the wrong direction. She left it. Even though we know it is there, it takes effort to find the misplaced blocks. I'd let it be.
Yes, your happy place--even when you have to change thread. :)

Sarah said...

I bet the air was fragrant fiddle dee dee! It's a real beauty and I certainly wouldn't try to correct it. Besides it's an original! PS I guess you like blue thread?

beaquilter said...

It looks awesome! I have one big Bonnie quilt on my bed and it took months before I spotted a mistake! Oh well