Sunday, May 26, 2019

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party!
Why not pick up your project and put in a few stitches today? That's exactly what I'm planning to do, but I have put in so few stitches recently that I don't have any of my stitching to share today. 


Sandy's quilt being auctioned
So I will show a couple of photos from the Mennonite Relief Sale that I attended yesterday. This is an annual event where over 200 quilts are auctioned to raise money for relief from hunger, poverty and natural disaster world wide, and for international development and peace keeping efforts. 


Sandy's quilt under plastic
I was only able to stay for half of the auction this year, but enjoyed the visual treat of so many lovely hand quilted delights.

This is a quilt that my friend Sandy made from the fabrics of a quilter who had passed away. Sandy pieced the quilt and it was hand quilted by Saleda Martin. You can see a better photo on the auction website here. It's always exciting to see a quilt being auctioned when the quilt maker is sitting right beside you!!



College quilt under plastic
And here is a quilt that the tag said it was made at the local college. I thought for sure that it was likely just "commissioned by the college" because it was very well made. But I spoke to the organizer and she said it was constructed in the fall and hand quilted in the winter by the students!


College quilt being auctioned
They called the quilt "X's and O's" and it was very pretty (more information and a better photo here). I think it would make a great scrap quilt and the creative wheels are turning in my brain!

Anyway, lots of money was raised for a terrific cause, and it motivated me to get going on finishing a quilt to donate next year. Click here to see the video clip that was on the local news about the event.

What are you hand stitching today?
Please share your project update in the link up below!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

11 comments:

Kim said...

A most wonderful thing that a lot of money was raised through the sale of these beautiful quilts. Love the quilt that Sandy made from the fabrics of the quilter who passed away. This story is so very touching. Thank you for the link up, Kathy.

CathieJ said...

Thanks for the links to those beautiful quilts.

Kate said...

Hope the auction raised lots of money. Enjoy your slow stitching time today.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sandy's quilt is lovely! From the first picture I thought it was a log cabin then the 2nd photo showed it was a split 9 patch. Beautiful quilt. Happy Stitching!

Sarah said...

Some beautiful quilts at the auction - Im sure lots of money was raised. Hope you manage some slow Sunday stitching today!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilts look really lovely and I'm impressed college students made one

Angela said...

I wondered if the bad weather affected attendance and the prices for the quilts.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Sounds like a wonderful event for a great cause. I'm starting a hand project today and will post about it soon.

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks for the quilt show, it looks like it was for a great cause!

Birthe Marie said...

It looks like a fantastic event. So great to collect money for good purposes. :-)

Marie said...

Lucky you! This has been on my bucket list for years and I'm thinking that next year might just be the year. Great orange quilt by the young quilters.