Monday, May 20, 2019

Quilt Retreat Project

Quilt retreat has already come and gone. It always goes too fast, like all wonderful things in life. 
One of my projects was this Kim Diehl pattern called Twinkle Trees from her lovely Simple Christmas Tidings book. I purchased the book and fabric kit as my Christmas present to myself in 2017 because I fell in love with the gorgeous sample quilt at Quilter's Nine Patch. And then it sat in the closet and waited patiently for a turn at the sewing machine.


tree top blocks
It was a lot of cutting to do all at once. I very rarely pre-cut an entire quilt top before I start sewing. But I did this time and it was a treat to go to quilt retreat and just sit and sew these fun blocks. First up was the 4 patch blocks, followed by many flying geese blocks.
  
Here are the 20 blocks that I finished at quilt retreat. I really like how scrappy they turned out.



And here on the design wall today is the first tree block almost ready to assemble.  

There are many more blocks still to sew, but it's too discouraging to look ahead and try to figure out how much more sewing needs to happen before the quilt top starts to take shape. So I'm just taking it one relaxing block at a time! 
Hop over to Small Quilts to see what other quilters have on their design walls today.

13 comments:

Miaismine said...

I have cut out 2 quilts (and a mini quilt) ahead of time and am thoroughly enjoying the process of sitting and sewing my Morning Glory Quilt.

I was wondering about the green fabric placement as I scrolled through and read your post and then...wala! A beautiful Christmas tree! I gasped in surprise when I saw it! How pretty is that? How precious! Your quilt will be lovely!

I agree, a block at a time is good mentality! Take good care!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The twinkle trees is so great!! I like it too!

Nann said...

What a fun pattern! I have four books by Kim Diehl -- love her designs. One of these days I'll make one of them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how those stars turn into a Christmas tree! That will be fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a cool Christmas Tree quilt that is going to be! Sounds like you were busy.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I have that book! Need to look at it again! I like your tree - it sparkles with scraps!

Janet O. said...

Oh, very cute! I wonder if I have that Kim Diehl book among my stash of her books? Gotta go check.

Jenny said...

I do like your Christmas tree block. One of many, did you say?

Robin said...

The colors are stunning. Nice job!

Louise said...

Oh, that's such a clever pattern! How fun! I'm glad you had such a good, productive time on your retreat :)

Karrin Hurd said...

Love that Christmas tree block and fabrics!

Teresa said...

That's going to have a beautiful Christmas home town look. I love scrappy quilts.

Miaismine said...

How gorgeous! That will be a lovely addition to your home! Lovely!