Sunday, June 17, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching celebration! 
This is a special weekend because it's Father's day and also my birthday. I'll be taking my Dad out for a special lunch today and remembering how blessed I am to have such a wonderful DAD!


At some point today I'll be enjoying some slow stitching time and conversation with Dad. In addition to visiting with his kids and grandkids (who adore him), Dad loves to spend time playing games, so I might need to put the stitching aside for a while!



Yesterday was also a day of celebrating - my friend Debby organized a sewing party for me with a mystery project, which was a bag with a measuring tape snap closure. Making 3D projects is a little challenging for me since my brain doesn't process the steps well, but I managed to keep up fairly well and am delighted with my finished product. 


Of course I made the  construction process a little longer by doing the quilting by hand. I can't help myself because I love it! You can maybe see that I quilted lines in all the seams, on some of the motifs in the fabric, and stitched a few diagonal lines for fun. It wasn't too difficult to hand quilt through the fusible batting.


When the quilting was done, I hand stitched a little pocket to the inside of the bag. So darn cute!





You can see my trusty little 1952 Featherweight machine was along and it did a lot of the work for me. But given a preference, I do like to do as much hand stitching as possible.



Here are the two sides of the bag... back and front. 


Many thanks to my friend Debby for organizing this special birthday party and making a lovely lunch for us, to her Mom Dorothy for sewing along while always keeping several steps ahead of us (and making sure we knew she was!) and to our wonderful teacher Deb Beirnes. Look at the pretty dessert she made for us!
So that was my fun birthday project, and in the time it took me to make one bag, both Debby and her Mom made two! That's what happens with hand stitching... you get to enjoy your project longer since it takes twice the time!

What you are hand stitching today? Link up your blog post below and share your slow progress with us.



   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   



21 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day with your family. Cute little bag too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, dear Kathy!
Happy Birthday to you!

You should be very thankful that I just wrote that out and did not sing it to you in person...

What a fun way to celebrate your birthday with a friend! The bag looks great and the treats, delicious!

Have a wonderful day!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Happy Father's day, and happy birthday to you ;) Enjoy this special day!

Denise :) said...

Awwww, Happy Birthday to you, Kathy!! I love your little bag; it's very sweet! And what a great idea for a birthday gift/party! :)

Created by Kathi said...

Happy Birthday dear Kathy! Thanks for your every week linky party as a time to celebrate hand stitching and enjoy this great group of people. Have a great Father's Day with your dad and a great weekend all around :D Kathi

Deb A said...

Happy Birthday Kathy! Have a great day with Dad.

Karen said...

The sewing party for your birthday is a wonderful idea. More quilters should do that.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy birthday! that must have been nice for your dad -- have fun stitching - here it is father's day and our 46th anniversary

Deanna W said...

And here I thought I had missed your birthday. I had it in my mind that it was in May!! Happy Birthday friend!!

Sandy said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a wonderful time. Your little bag is adorable. Love the colors and that you like to stitch by hand. Impressed your machine is that old and still working so well.

Sandy's Space

MissPat said...

Happy Birthday. Enjoy your day with your Dad even if you don't get to stitch, but I'm betting in squeeze a few stitches in somewhere.
Pat

Lisa J. said...

Happy Birthday Kathy: What a a great birthday gift!

Deb said...

What a fabulous friend and wonderful gift, Happy Birthday, your bag is lovely.

Kaja said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great time with your dad too.

Jill said...

A fun, happy weekend. A birthday celebration with stitching friends and time with your father.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun way to celebrate! I keep saying I'll make one of those snap bags one day. I found the pattern on the freebie table a few weeks ago. Maybe it will finally get made.

Christine said...

Happy Birthday Kathy. I am a June baby as well. And I like the idea of having a quilting party to celebrate!

Kate said...

Happy birthday Kathy! Looks like your friends know you really well, stitching, sweets and hanging out with friends. That's a very nice birthday gift.

Ivani said...

Kappy Birthday Kathy!!!

Miaismine said...

Happy Birthday! And Happy Father's Day to your Dad! Looks like you had great celebrations! Your bag came out so beautiful!

Barb said...

What a super cute project! Happy Belated - we're both Gemini :)
xo