Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 UFO Accomplishments

See how I worded the title of the blog post to be positive by using the word "accomplishments"?!? I wanted to encourage myself to keep on the right track since I didn't finish as many UFO's as I have in previous years, and as I had hoped to finish this year. That is because my quilting was distracted by being part of the 2015 Scrap Squad for Quiltmaker magazine. And that meant making 6 quilts that I hadn't planned on making at the beginning of the year! Those quilts, which were great fun to create, took a lot of quilting time away from finishing the UFO's. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
This is the UFO summary for the past year:

1) Triangle Stars - no change

2) Easy Street - FINISHED! This was the 2012 Quiltville mystery and I am delighted that I tackled the machine quilting on this one myself. It measures 88" square and it was a challenge to quilt on my domestic machine.

3) Roll, Roll Cotton Boll - no progress this year





4) Polka Dot Batiks - FINISHED! 
I am delighted with this finish since it was 5 years in the making! It used up a lot of old batik scraps, and I was very happy with the layout that evolved.


5) Sixties - This has never been seen on my blog before, although I don't know why. I got hung up on the layout decisions at the time. It will be on the UFO list again for next year.


6) Sweet Treats - Finished!
This was a quiltalong project from Patchwork Times in 2012. I changed the layout slightly and I am so happy with how this one turned out!



7) Log Cabin - No change. This is also a quilt that I have not shown on the blog because it is soooo old that it predates the blog!

8) Tetris - No change. A finish for next year for sure!

9) QSQA - No change. This is a Quilt Square Quilt Along from 2012. I have all the fabric ready to go for this one, and it wouldn't take long to finish it up.

10) Deckade the Halls - This was very close to being finished this year, and it will be finished by next Christmas for sure. I will write more about this quilt next week.


11) Scrappy Braid - Also FINISHED! It's a great scrappy finish that was about 15 years in the making. 


12) Brown Block Sampler - No change...again.

For the past three years I have participated in the Lovely Year of Finishes hosted by Melissa and Shanna. It has helped to provide me with structure and encouragement to complete more UFO's, and I am sad that it is coming to an end. Sending a big thank you to Melissa and Shanna for all their hard work, and I wish them all the best in their new adventures next year.
So now what will I do about the UFO situation? Do you have any suggestions for me for completing UFO's in 2016?
Happy New Year!

27 comments:

Jo said...

Don't get too hung up on what you didn't do, it will still be there next year. Appreciate what you did manage to finish.., it all looks good.
Happy New Year

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've listed 3 UFO's to tackle in 2016. When those 3 are completed, I'll list others. I just try to take small steps. If I list a dozen UFO's, I get overwhelmed and don't work on any of them. One finish is better than none.

If you have a really hard time working on a UFO, maybe it is time to take it off the list and weed it out of the projects. I don't like everything I started years ago. Our tastes and likes change as we age.

You just do whatever is right for you. Blessings, Gretchen

Kate said...

Some years just end up being about new projects. At least all your Scrap Squad projects are finished and not adding to your UFO list.

If you are looking for a replacement motivating linky party for finishing up UFOs, you could try the 2016 Finish Along. This one has you link up your targeted finishes for the quarter, then link up at the end of the quarter with your progress. It's being hosted by 8 different bloggers this year. I found the info for the 2016 version over at She Can Quilt. Here's the link: http://www.shecanquilt.ca/2015/12/big-news-for-2016-fal.html

The Cozy Quilter said...

Wonderful finishes, Kathy! I had hoped to finish a bunch of UFO's this year too but life got in the way. Here' to a quilty 2016! Happy New Year!

diane said...

Great finishes girl. Really love them all but Polka Dot Batik really catches my eye.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Congratulations on your finishes Kathy! I just found a link on All People Quilt:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-to-quilt/finishing/2016-ufo-challenge#block-bean-comments-box-for-users

I started the process off by printing out four sheets and we'll see how far I get when I start sorting!! This is the year I need to document the quilts and get organized. Wish me luck!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your quilts all look great!! great use of scraps in a lot of those. Happy New Year to you - love your blog!

Pam said...

As a fellow Scrap Squad member, I know the time we spent on those 6 quilts took time away from our other projects but what a wonderful experience Quilt Squad was. I will cherish the quilts and the friendships made during the year. Happy Quilting in 2016.

Ivani said...

All your finished Ufos during 2015 are beautiful. You had a great year. You made several new quilts. Last 26 Pat Sloan anounce her UFo Busting for 2016 and has opened a link party. Happy Quilting . Happy New Year!

beaquilter said...

great finishes and I'm sure you'll add new things to the list soon enough!

ES said...

Can you choose the ufo's that will give you the greatest pleasure to finish- and go from there? Or the closest one to being finished? I sure would love to see the 'chomper' quilt finished up :)

Angie in SoCal said...

Colorful finishes, Kathy. You sure know how to use up scraps. Happy New Year!

Mary said...

I'm going to choose a UFO close to being a Flimsy each month like we used to do with Patchwork times. If I make a list and number them then I can choose randomly. Remember doing that? You've been very prolific this year. I'm so glad to have followed you on the Scrap Squad. You finished some BIG projects!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I don't stress about UFOs - everything has it's time and it is more important to enjoy the process than speed. You had a lot of finishes, plus participated on the Scrap Squad to boot.

Robin said...

Enjoyed your post. Your comments about some UFOs predating your blog made me smile.

MissPat said...

Considering your Scrap Squad commitment, I think you did very well on the UFO list. I wish I could say I was as productive. Maybe if I spent more time quilting and less time reading so many blogs (and finding so many new potential projects), I'd get more done.

Jeanne said...

Lots of great finishes this year, Kathy! Happy New Year!

Janet O. said...

I think you have done well on your finishes. Wish I could count as many good sized quilts. Seems all of my finishes have been baby quilts or much smaller. : )

canuckquilter said...

I think your lovely and challenging scrap squad quilts balance out the unfinished projects! As long as you enjoyed your quilting journey this year, it's all good :)

Flickenstichlerin said...

Wonderful finishes, what a year.
Best wishes for 2016.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You did well with all your accomplishments! Don't get hung up on what wasn't finished, you had a lot to do this past year.

AnnieO said...

Six extra quilts is a lot! I liked the UFO a month method though I wasn't that successful with it. My focus this year will be sending out quilt tops too big for me to do on my home machine, and emptying a lot of project boxes to make more tops!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your opportunity to work on the Scrap Squad is one that doesn't come along every year. You would have been foolish not to accept it!

I have used quilt tops for backing for other quilt projects. People love it when they get a double sided quilt. Sometimes they even like the 'old' quilt side better than the 'new' quilt side. Gretchen

Bees Knees Granny said...

Kathy your question set me thinking...how to finish UFO's. I have several ideas for new quilts, and don't want to set them aside. Then I thought of Bonnie Hunter's "leaders and enders." How 'bout sorting your UFO's according to the next step needed in their quilting process? A kit, perhaps, that hasn't yet been cut; another project needing piecing; still others ready for basting, quilting, binding. Then "piggyback" a UFO while working on that same step in your current project. So pull a UFO from the "piecing" pile and work on it while piecing your current project. Wait to baste your current project until you have finished piecing your UFO and put it into the "basting" pile--or carry that UFO all the way to completion alongside your current project.
Keep on quiltin' cwoosley12@yahoo.com

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I will be linking up with the Finish A Long http://www.shecanquilt.ca and other than that I usually try to tackle the oldest UFO first and get it done! But when it feels like a chore, then quilting isn't fun anymore, so keep it fun.

audrey said...

I'd say you had a fantastic year with the UFO's considering all the new ones you completed as well!

Barb said...

congrats on your finishes! I may make a real UFO plan this year. I've avoided it forever.