Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Treadling on Tuesday

From Quiltville

Last time I wrote about my treadle (click here), I had brought her out of hiding/storage hoping that I would get more treadle time in.
And it worked!
I have been more tempted to sit down at the machine and do some treadling than I was before. 
I am piecing random scraps onto an old adding machine tape, and using both pieces of the tape (remember the yellow carbon copy??) You can see the rest of the roll of tape on the machine bed, and see that I don't have much more to use up. When the tape is all covered in fabric, the quilt will be ready to assemble. How big will that quilt be? I have no idea yet!

Did you happen to notice my scrappy mug mat which was a  lovely gift from Julie??  I adore it...thank you so much!

11 comments:

margaret said...

after seeing your treadle recently I went on a search and found lots for sale, I thought they would be pricey but no they were not. Anyway I resisted as I have no room for one and already have 3 sewing machines, an embellishing machine and an overlocker enough is enough I say!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I can't wait to see your finished quilt! What an ingenious use of old adding machine tape. (And as a retired accountant, I do remember those yellow carbon copy tapes.) What a lovely little mug mat from Julie!

julieQ said...

Yahoo! It got there...so glad for that. I love your ticker tape parade! That is what I think of when I see your beautiful treadle scrappy quilting!

Paula, the quilter said...

I am doing the same thing! I use kabinet wax paper that I have cut in half. After sewing the strips on I trim it down to 4.5 x 10 inches. I have about 150 blocks made already. I am trying to get my strips basket to a lower level.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a nice old sewing machine - I often wonder what happened to my grandmother's machine that looked like that.

AnnieO said...

Lovely place to treadle away! Really sweet mug mat too :)

Janet O. said...

The mug mat is delightful!
It will be fun to see how large this quilt becomes--in other words, how it all "adds up." (Couldn't resist that one. ) : )

Teaquilts said...

Hi Kathy,

I purchased a treadle last year in September and haven't had time to learn yet. When I first got it, I watched a lot of YouTube videos. I'm hoping I get a few days in the Summer to try the technique. Making string units will be great too.

Teresa in Music City said...

Such fun!!! I've been threatening to move one of my machines downstairs so I can stitch while waiting for a pot to boil or bread to rise - well if I cooked, that would be the plan anyway LOL!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have several rolls of old adding machine tape that I've collected at thrift stores, but, I still haven't pulled it out and stitched on it yet.

Kate said...

What a great way to recycle both fabric and the tape.