Friday, April 25, 2014

Disappearing 4 Patch

Another UFO closet treasure was re-discovered last weekend! I demonstrated how to sew a disappearing 4 patch (D4P) block for my quilt guild a few years ago, and forgot that several blocks were sewn that day. 

I first saw the tutorial here and have had a lot of fun with this block over the years. 
I guess I must really like it, since this is my third D4P quilt! You can see the first quilt here and the second one here

These blocks started with 5" charm squares from the Fresh Flowers fabric line
This week I sewed the remaining squares from the charm pack into the D4P blocks. 
I think I will make a layout 4 blocks x 6 blocks, so I need to find a couple more fabrics in the stash to make up 2 more blocks.
It's a very fresh and spring-like project to work on. On the top right is a possible border fabric. I hope to get these blocks sewn into a quilt top before they go missing again!

18 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I made a D4P a couple of years ago ... it's a fun quilt and always looks like it was more difficult than it really is. Yours is a really fun quilt ... very springlike, indeed.

Jill said...

I like the disappearing 4 patch that many quilters are making. Using the same product line gives it a scrappy cohesive look. I shall add this block to my list.

Wehago designs said...

This is one block I haven't tried, maybe one day when I need a quick quilt, but my bucket list is so long I don't think it will happen very soon. I enjoyed reading about yours though.

Debra said...

Very cool! I have not seen this block before.. at least that I remmeber! I will have to try it in the future - Thanks!

Cathy said...

This one is on my want to do list. I have some large scale florals that I think would look good paired with solids, or tone on tones. After looking at yours, I just might have to move it closer to the top of the list.

jtquilts said...

I have played with the D4P before but not made a quilt and looking at yours, I think I need to do that! I have been reading your blog for awhile and never let you know how I so enjoy seeing your projects and progress. You certainly are prolific! Good encouragement!

AnnieO said...

Cute! That setting is very simple and pleasing to the eye. I like the border option fabric too!

Needled Mom said...

I love this block and it always looks so complicated.

Rebecca in AK said...

Love, love, love the fabrics you have chosen! I have never tried this block, added it to my list!

Sheila said...

Love how bright and cheerful this quilt is and I like your mini in the previous post .

Terri said...

Love this pattern and the 3 color ways you have made... I went looking. I especially like this color set. So cheery! Hope you find just what you are looking for in your stash. Thanks for sharing this design and the pictures. It is now another quilt on my bucket list.
Hugs

Mary said...

I have a Red and White version of the Quilt. Made from Block Lotto blocks I won! Glad you are having fun finding UFO's that were 'lost'.

Janet O. said...

This is very fun and fresh!

margaret said...

thanks for sharing this, have done the diappearing nine patch will now try the 4 patch.

Renate Bischoff said...

Thank you for the inspiration. I will give a D4P a try.
Some years ago I made a D9P and it was fun to.
Your blocks are beautiful. It looks really like spring.

Have a nice day!
Renate

Jo said...

I have a charm pack to use up. This might be a good idea

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have several of these blocks from exchanges, but, I've never put mine together yet. One of these days.

Kate said...

Beautiful and bright blocks! DP9 is one of those projects that's on the bucket list. Your's looks great.