Thursday, June 13, 2013

Fair block

I enjoy making sampler blocks, and always try to participate in block challenges when the opportunity arises...especially when it's a "challenging challenge"!
I recently made a block for a fair with the theme of "cowbells and carousels". 
Really? What can a quilter make for that theme? 
Well, I scoured my 100 blocks magazines and found a block pattern for a horse on the cover of volume 7, which was easily converted to a carousel horse by adding a pole. The required fabrics were the background white with dots, and the print that I fussy cut for the bows on the mane, tail and the saddle.

The machine applique was a nightmare because I was using my little Janome (while staying at my brother's). 
This machine needs a tune up or something?!?
Just look at the stitching from the back...sheeshh.
Oh well, the "Carousel Pony" was finished and handed in by the deadline, and it was a fun distraction!

9 comments:

  1. Cute horse...love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever way to meet the challenge. I love your block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful horse!
    As for stitches--new needle? Correct size of needle--90/14 is bigger than most people use but is probably the correct size. Rethread upper thread. Check for lint/fibers in upper tension disk. Check to see if bobbin is placed properly & unwinding in correct direction. Upper thread and bobbin thread same size/type of thread.
    This is likely to be something that does not need the attention of a service rep.
    And I hope it's already fixed. So little sewing time--so little time for troubleshooting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little carousel horse...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A strange combination with the cowbells and carousels. Sort of rhymes but what other association! You met the challenge with your horse on the pole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is just as cute as it can be Kathy! Way to rise up to meet that challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bright and fun block. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Janome was giving me fits with the blanket stitch the other day. It had been working fine until I changed the thread to a different color. I finally switched back (after ripping stuff out several times) and it stitched great again. Maybe because I had different weight thread in the bobbin. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete