Wednesday, May 06, 2009

25th Anniversary

It has been a happy/sad week for us.  It is our 25th anniversary and I was hesitant to go away because I did not want to miss quilt guild meeting, and also we had been too busy to sit down and organize anything. But after a "tongue lashing" from my quilting friends, I got busy and started planning a little getaway for us.
Here is our wedding party in 1984. How is it possible that 25 years have passed since that day?!?

As I was planning our getaway, we found out that David, our little ringbearer, died suddenly. He was a wonderful person, whom I babysat since he was born, until he was too old for a babysitter, and after that we remained friends. David was born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus, and had a multitude of challenges throughout his too short life. He had a wonderful sense of humour and an infectious giggle. I loved him since the first day I held him in my arms and was always so inspired by him.  My career choices evolved out of my life changing experiences with him, his mother being one of my references for my first job in social work. Eventually I had my own children and named my son after him. He was engaged to be married in August and it is still hard to believe that now he is gone. I wish I would still be planning what quilt pattern to make him for a wedding gift.
It will be good to have a couple of days to be away, to remember the friends that we have met and loved and celebrated with over the last 25 years...to drink a toast to the friends we have lost and to remember that every day with loved ones is a gift to be treasured. 







7 comments:

sewnut said...

Happy Anniversary. I feel bittersweet as I look at photos from our wedding (77) and see loved ones who are no longer with us. It seems I treasure the wedding photo album even more now, especially the shots that showed the people who shared the day with us.

Andrea said...

I feel happy and sad along with you too Kathy. Congrats on the anniversary and enjoy your break.

Libby said...

Happy Anniversary!

I'm so sorry to hear of the sad loss of your friend - try to remember the happy times you shared *s*

Julie said...

I am sad to hear of the loss of your friend. He was a wonderful inspiration for you wasn't he?

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Happy Anniversary...I hope that you had a good few days away and that the days away gave you the comfort you were seeking.

swooze said...

Sorry for your loss.

Jeanne said...

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your ringbearer. He sounds like a wonderful person and I'm sure you both benefited from knowing each other. It was fun seeing your wedding photo. I'm reading backwards again. Bloglines is still not up updating your blog for me.