Thursday, July 29, 2010

New project

You just had to know that since I have been so good about trying to finish up some projects recently, that I would be itching to start something new! I bought some laser cut kits from Flynn Quilt Company at Paducah last year and finished the first one last June - click here to see it.
I tried to start this project at quilt retreat in February but it required more concentration than I was able to muster up while at retreat, so I put it away. This week I dug it out again and put together a block to see if I could figure it out. The 8 pieces went together perfectly and I couldn't remember why I disliked it so much at retreat...until I put all the pieces on the design wall and remembered that the challenge was to balance all the various fabrics and colours. I could put the 20 blocks together randomly or work on the design wall to get a balanced layout of the 160 pieces, and then sew the blocks. 
What do you think is the best way to sew it?!!

10 comments:

scraphappy said...

There is no better way to reward yourself for finishing old projects than allowing yourself to start something new.
I've never had good luck with curved piecing. The finished product looks beautiful though. As long as there isn't anything else up on the wall it would be a great way to keep track of things. Especially with a kit where you can't just make a few extra blocks to substitute in "just in case".

Diane said...

how to sew it together? I can't answer that this early in the morning, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.It's going to be beautiful. I think this is why we never get caught up-when I finish a project or two (or heck when I get close to finishing) I just get an itch to add something new.

Anonymous said...

I made this also and really enjoyed it. If you wait to add the small quarter circles until the end you won't have to worry about planning it all out first. I gave mine to a male friend undergoing treatment for cancer because he was cold all the time. Now that he is fine he uses it early in the morning as his prayer cover up. I actually had 2 kits and had some blocks left over and made 2 mini quilts which I named "There is a Spider in my Garden" I kept seeing spider webs in the larger quilt. I added a large sassy spider too. I would post a pic or send it to you but I am uncertain how to do it.
Leslie

Teaquilts said...

As stated in earlier comments, I can't help with your question, but I too think its a beautiful quilt to make.

Darlene said...

Looks like fun!!!!

Millie said...

Beautiful block and I think it will make a gorgeous quilt...but it looks like it will take some time to get this one done.

dmrtn said...

Very cool that all the cutting is done for you. I'd lay out the 160 pieces, for sure. This is your best bet for ensuring balance.

AnnieO said...

Intriguing block--I've never seen anything like it!

Judy D in WA said...

Ohh, this looks like fun! Sometimes we need to challenge ourselves and for me, this would be a challenge. Nothing wrong with starting a new project. :)

Thelma said...

I'm pretty particular about my fabric choices, so I always throw the pieces up on my design, move them around, and waste valuable time getting every piece just so. I've often wondered if in the end, if it really made any difference. I say throw caution to the wind and just sew randomly, for half of them...then see what you've got!