Friday, July 11, 2008

New Project - Kwik Scrappy Star

Every time my husband sees me working on a project, he gets annoyed that it is not the quilt he picked out for me to make for his office. He oftens asks me how his quilt is coming along. He picked out the project when we were on the shop hop, I mean when we were celebrating our anniversary - remember this? The pattern is called Kwik Scrappy Star.
Here are the fabrics I decided to use - some are from the kit and some I substituted. I don't really like to work with course weave homespun fabrics, so I substituted those. I picked out some alternatives, letting hubby think that he had some choice in the decision. Luckily he picked the fabrics I liked/pre-selected, so it all worked out!
This pattern was not really kwik or easy! Here are the freezer paper templates and the pieces cut. The getting ready to sew part was only manageable by reading the instructions slowly and carefully, and controlling my anxiety that it would all work out! My non-analytical mind could not figure out how this was going to come together.
And then I got stuck. After the first sewing step, I couldn't get the next seams to line up. So I took a photo of the problem, with my wooden skewers pointing to the uneven seams and contacted the pattern company called Two Kwik Quilters. They got back to me right away, which I loved, and reassured me that I had done all the steps correctly and could continue as the instructions indicate. Or I could trim the seams if I wanted to - which I did. My mind couldn't get around the concept of not having two straight seams to line up together. Too many years of sewing traditional mini quilts?!?!? I'm hoping to continue working on the stars on the weekend, so I have something to show my husband the next time he asks "How's my quilt coming along?"!!!!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Great idea to e-mail the pattern designers! Your stars are looking good! Got to keep those hubbies supporting our habit. My husband's quilt it at the quilter's. He will have it this winter to use on the couch during football season.

Take care!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'd be like you... panicking! I can't wait to see how they turn out...I assume that there is some trick to get it to all line up...curious minds want to know. :o)

TTFN

Libby said...

What great fabrics - a perfect Hubby quilt. That is a fun technique . . . just relax and let it happen *s*

Julie said...

Well, it will be great when you finish!

Helen in the UK said...

Love the look of the original pattern. I think I'd be frustrated with the lack of matching too ... keep persevering and I'm sure you'll make a great quilt for DH :)

Darlene said...

I love this quilt but it's one I can't do. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around "not following all the rules". LOL I can't wait to see it completed.

Sweet P said...

I love those fabrics together. How great the designer got back to you with an answer.

I've given you an award on my blog. Please check it out.

Unknown said...

I've had this pattern for awhile and just started it. Everything you said is so frustrating true. I too am stuck at the uneven seams so I quess I'll just sew out to the end. I tried to treat it as a set in seam but that totally doesn't work out well for me. Glad I'm not the only one that was confused and frustrated with the directions. Hope you post a picture of the your finished quilt. :-)