Monday, May 25, 2020

Unity Sewing

The weekend provided some time for catching up on my version of the Unity mystery. I have been delighted at how easily each round of this medallion mystery has attached to the growing quilt top. The practice of adding so many borders really does help to improve the skills. I don't know why it seemed so hard a few years ago?!? LOL 

another finished cone of Aurifil

I played thread chicken when adding this long border. Can you believe that I used up another large cone of white Auriful thread. That's 5,900 metres of thread (or 6,452 yards if you aren't familiar with metric measurement) which represents A LOT of sewing. Luckily I have another cone of white thread ready to keep on sewing.

Here is the quilt on my too small design wall after adding part 5 to the top and bottom. I can't believe how much I like this quilt considering the fabric was completely unplanned and all from stash.




This week I will sew some letter blocks for the next word in part 7. 

Linking up to Small Quilts

17 comments:

Kathy S. said...

It's GORGEOUS! I love how your words pull everything together. The scraps just all fall into place with the colors. I too am surprised how nicely each round is attaching to the previous round. LOL on your game of thread chicken. I have only sewn TWO blocks of part 7. I'll get caught up sooner or later. I'll be using them as leader/enders for a little while. Happy sewing.

maggie fellow said...

you are making great progress- the words are just wonderful

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It looks great. I've also finished off several spools of thread lately.

Deanna W said...

Looking good...what is the next word you have chosen?

Nann said...

The addition of the words really makes this sparkle. (The entire Unity design, now that I've seen it, is too busy for me. That's saying a lot because I like busy for most quilts.) And, yes, those Aurifil spools seem to last forever. Since it's made in Italy I wonder if resupplying will be interrupted.

hetty said...

Looking good! Can't wait to see your next word.

Janet O. said...

I agree that it sparkles and the words make it meaningful. You are the mystery queen and you always seem to come out with winners.
That is a lot of sewing. Love those cones of Aurifil!

Judy in Michigan said...

I commend your free-pieced words - great idea. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cathy said...

I think your Unity quilt is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are great, and the words you’ve added are unique and so appropriate.

Louise said...

Hm, I wonder what your next word will be? And your thread chicken reminds me that I should order one of those big cones for piecing.

Margaret said...

I hope you are planning on posting this on Bonnie Hunter’s Instagram site, so she can see it. I think she’d be tickled.

AnnieO said...

Your Unity version is looking wonderful! Glad you had it to stitch on when masks were making you stressed! Thread chicken is a fun game--sometimes, LOL

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your version with the words in it!

audrey said...

Your quilt top is looking wonderful! I really, really like the message. Also, I'm betting that your piecing skills are much, much more accurate/consistent? than they were years ago. That goes a long way to making pieced border work relatively painless!:)

Andee Neff said...

Super unique! Love it!

Kyle said...

Your quilt is fabulous and the message timeless.

Deanna W said...

I thought of a word for you "kindness"