Thursday, May 28, 2020

Heating Up!

We went from snow and hail on Mother's Day May 10th to a heat wave this week. 
hail on pile of quilts
This is a photo of the preparations for Mother's Day - a pile of quilts to wrap around my 2 kids who were coming for a backyard, socially distant visit. It was cold enough to wear our winter coats and be wrapped up in quilts. 
Over the past 2 weeks the temperature rose more than 30 degrees (Celsius) . It's quite an extreme and rapid weather change for which I was unprepared! I don't have the window air conditioner installed in the sewing room yet and it's too hot to sit at the machine and sew! 

Hand stitching to the rescue!
Sometimes is has even been too hot to hold the needle without sweating, but evenings have been comfortable.
I'd like to give a shout out to Kathleen in Connecticut, who is a hand stitcher and wanted to know the size of this embroidery pattern. I measured it for you and the length of the rolling pin is 6.25". You can order the pattern though Colonial Patterns. It would be a great tribute to your pie making Mom and sister!

Your smile for the day... if it wasn't so hot outside, I'd consider returning to this old style of women's clothing to help me maintain a safe, socially distant life! 

10 comments:

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh the hoop skirt for social distancing is so funny. I wondered before how girls could whisper to each other in those skirts. Cause you know how girls love to tell secrets. I might just go get that "just roll with it" pattern and make it for my newly married daughter. She doesn't make pies...yet. (I love to! Maybe this would encourage her.) It's such a cute pattern.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL on the hoop skirt - that would keep some social distancing going

Jenny said...

That's quite a range in temperatures Mother Nature is keeping you on your toes!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love that joke...I may steal it for facebook.
Yes, we have the same temperature range here outside Ottawa. Hardly had my summer clothes dug out and here I am in the most summery outfit I own.

Deanna W said...

Don't put those quilts too far away...yes we have had the same temperature jump but it is suppose to fall again next week!! Been raining here all afternoon and the gardens are popping to life!

Redfinch said...

Thanks for your posts--I've been reading your blog for YEARS! I have this
"Stitcher's Revolution" collection of sewing-themed embroidery patterns; got mine at Joann Fabrics a couple years ago. Ruth

Louise said...

I'm so glad to hear you were able to visit your family while maintaining good distancing! Very smart. It's too hot in my quilt studio today, too, so I'm surfing the internet up in the a/c :)

Kathleen C said...

Thank you for measuring the embroidery for me! I was so pleased to read your post this morning and see my name :). I agree with other commenters--the weather is going from cold to hot and back to cool here too. We're all fortunate to have our stitchery, in many different forms, to help us through such a difficult time. Take care. Kathleen in CT.

Janet O. said...

Enjoyed the whole post, but the hoop skirt made me laugh. I actually have a hoop skirt from my days as an historical re-enactor, but I don't think it is that big.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd like to see you get in a car with that hoop on ;)