Monday, May 11, 2020

Design Wall Monday - Unity

It has been wonderful to watch all the versions of the Quiltville Unity mystery popping up on instagram. I do miss the good old days where we had a link up on the Quiltville blog and could leisurely visit all the mystery quilters, but seeing the photos on instagram is inspiring too.

This is how my version is looking today... almost finished part #4

I want to make another word for the top border, but couldn't decide which word. I don't want to let my indecision hold up the process, so may end up picking a word from a hat!

And so I move on to step #5 which is flying geese blocks.


I rediscovered this awesome Tamara Kate fabric in my stash which was being saved for a special project... and this is it! I used the whole fat quarter and added in other neutrals for these blocks.


Some of these are really old scraps and I'm so happy to use them up. See that blue green fabric on the bottom right... it's from a quilt finished in 2012!


I am sewing the flying geese blocks using 2 different techniques and really do prefer cutting all the pieces from the Essential Triangle tool ruler and having no waste.
I'm also enjoying the wool pressing mat and am saving the dog ears in a jar... for no reasons other than it makes me happy to look at the jar!
Linking up to Small Quilts design wall Monday

13 comments:

Marie said...

I suggest word "brave".

Nann said...

How about "hope"?
As I write this comment I'm printing Unity #7. Saving the pattern has been the extent of my participation. I like your addition of words.

Deanna W said...

Suggestion for a word "patience". You could also machine quilt all the words as the quilting pattern once the top is done!
Sure feels good using up those old fabrics. But I don't like to think of them as old...just new again! haha

Curious Daylily said...

"Together" "Courage"

I quite like the idea. :-)

Rebecca said...

"dog ears in a jar" feeling is a lot like saving empty thread cones and spools.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I think the word "Hope" would fit wonderfully. I really like your quilt. Some of the ones on Instagram are so cool.

MissPat said...

What about "gratitude"? I like having the progress photos on Instagram. As a non-blogger, I could never link-up. With Instagram, you can see quilts over a longer period, instead of just seeing the overachievers who finish immediately. That said, I didn't start Unity and Frolic stalled in January when we left for FL for 8 weeks. Haven't had the energy to figure out where I left off.
Pat

Bonnie said...

Your Unity is looking great. Here are a few more words to consider: Bloom, Blessings and my favorite, Grateful. Have fun deciding or picking words out of a hat. Love the colors in your flying geese blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love LOVE the fabrics you are using for the newest pieces and parts!! Best of luck deciding on a word for the top border. I'm sure you'll decide on something once it's time to add that in!

Wendy F said...

I love the fabrics you are using and your additions to the Unity quilt. Looks great!

Barb said...

great addition to bonnie's pattern!

Sarah said...

It's nice to see the word suggestions to go above courage. They are all really appropriate but I especially like hope!

cityquilter grace said...

very very nice color selections...it has a serene feeling about it just right for chaotic news and such....