Sunday, January 19, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly link up that celebrates the art of hand stitching! 
Why not get your project out and enjoy some relaxation?  Try not to think about your "to-do" list, or ruminate about your worries. Just take a stitching break and focus on pulling thread through fabric or knitting stitches with yarn. 
We are in the middle of a winter snow storm here and had 15 cm of snow fall yesterday. That is perfect weather to stay home and quilt! I pulled out my oldest UFO for some relaxing stitching time. 

some quilted stars

I have been working on this quilt on and off since 1996! True story! The quilt top was pieced at my very first retreat, and in 2012 the border was added. Yes it took a long time... I had two little kids and two part time jobs (oh yah, and I also  started about a hundred other UFOs!)
Then in 2015 the quilt was pin basted and hand quilting was started. So that's only 5+ years in the quilting stage so far. That's a perfect Slow Sunday Stitching pace!


some unquilted stars (with pins)

Here is an area in need of some stitching. As I quilt an area, I remove the pins so can tell at a glance which blocks still need quilting. Even after all these years, I still love the square in a square quilting pattern that I chose. I'll be quilting the centre of this blue star this morning.


What are you hand stitching today? We would love to see your slow progress! Share your instagram photos and blog posts below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Every time you show this quilt, I think what a lovely quilt! Your weather sounds like lovely quilting weather.

Kim said...

This is a lovely quilt. Sounds like the perfect day to be inside, warm and cosy, quilting.

Kathy S. said...

The scrappy neutrals are gorgeous. Enjoy your stitching. Sounds like relaxing weather.

Denise :) said...

I love the quilt you're working on...the blocks are very similar to the blocks in the quilt I'm working on! Enjoy the day, Kathy! It's so nice to purposefully have time set aside to just stitch! :)

Chantal said...

It is such a beautiful scrappy quilt that it needs to be finished and enjoyed by everyone. ♪♫ Go Kathy ♫♫ Go Kathy ♪♫ you can do this. I'm stuck in the same snow storm but I don't think we had that much snow ... yet. ;^)

CathieJ said...

My first quilt took over 20 years to complete. I made the mistake of starting with a queen-sized quilt that I decided to hand quilt. There is a lot of love in that quilt though. I do like that square in a square quilt design.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is lovely it will be done sooner or later!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It definitely sounds like quilting weather at your house! Enjoy your time with this pretty quilt, Kathy!

Deb A said...

Love it when this quilt comes out each year! Stay warm.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great quilt! I once had a quilt I started hand-quilting in about 1997 or so, and finished in 2017 I think. It kept getting put away and forgotten.

Connie said...

I really enjoy projects that take a LONG time to complete. Working on them little by little makes them in some ways like a friend. Your quilt is very pretty. https://stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com/

scraphappy said...

The longer a project takes to get to completion, the better the finish feels. This one is going to be amazing when all the slow stitching is done. Best of luck crossing it off the list.

maggie fellow said...

remember, Jane stickle only made one quilt

Chris said...

The single Irish Chain or Nine-Patch that is on my bed is only half quilted. I started it when I was teaching 4-H 20 years ago. The girls cut out the strips and dewed the 9-patch blocks together and then I assembled the whole thing before inviting all the girls and their moms for a tea party and hand quilting. I probably should finish it someday, but it is on my bed.

Lyndsey said...

I love that quilt. The important part is to enjoy the journey not about the speed of the journey.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Hand quilting is definitely a cold weather activity. I don't think I could have kept with one quilt for so long, so well done!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You did a great job on selection of scrappy colors. Pretty quilt and especially with children and 2 jobs! This will be called the Memory of all Memories Quilt! Stay warm - maybe I will be back in the quilting saddle and have something to show. Hugs