This sewing machine has been sitting in her black box for at least 20 years.
Since I decided to sew this year's mystery on my vintage machines, I got out this old gal for the first time to see what kind of condition she was in. I cleaned and oiled all the parts and pieces, played with the tension, wound a bobbin, solved a few problems (will write about those another time) and got it sewing perfectly.
I strip sewed all the units on phone book paper. I tried sewing the big pieces with long strips, and then trimming them to the correct size when completed, but it was not as much fun for me as sewing on smaller pieces and using up the smaller scraps.
The paper removal is quite boring, but I didn't hate doing it. I just would just prefer to be sewing instead of ripping paper. I could definitely see the benefit of piecing on paper for stability with bias edges and angles.
And as soon as I had finished step #6, step #7 appeared, so I finished up those units too. It was a quick step to sew. Here are some of my red 16 patch blocks on the design wall and the rest of the blocks in a storage bin waiting to see what happens next.
Hop on over to this week's Good Fortune linky party and the Let's Bee Social party.