Monday, January 21, 2019

A Big Tiny Distraction


Did you see the "super wolf blood moon" last night?  It was a total lunar eclipse and the sky was clear to see it well. However, I was not able to stay up until 2:45 am to see the entire thing. Maybe I could blame the full moon on my latest distraction?  At the January quilt guild meeting an anonymous person donated a little bag of 1.5" HST blocks to the scrap bin. I couldn't believe it when I saw them all sewn and pressed and perfectly sized. Of course I couldn't leave those sweet little treasures behind, so I adopted them. 

And every time I was sewing something else this past week, they were calling to me!
I spent time arranging the 128 blocks into different layouts, and trying to figure out a design that would use up all the blocks.
Eventually I settled on these odd blocks. Each block uses 8 HSTs and I was able to make 16 of them. This really appealed to me for some unknown reason.


I had many fun moments playing with layout ideas that would use every single block. I did not have any of the salmon coloured fabrics in my stash, and decided to add a solid white to set the blocks. I liked this layout, but it would be hard to sew since I already had the 8 HSTs sewn together in blocks. If I would have thought of this layout before I sewed them together, I would have gone with this idea. But I was not going to unsew them all!

So this is the layout I finally  decided on. 
It's so cute and measures 13" x 16". I'm going to add a larger white border around the outside and then it will be ready to be made into a quilting sandwich.

To see more design wall postings, hop over to Small Quilts.

21 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

I love your design with these little hst's! How fun :) Happy stitching! Kathi

julieQ said...

So darling!!! I would have adopted those orphans too!

Kathy S. said...

Very fun! I get so distracted looking at my reading list on blogger. I should be sewing, but instead tons of new ideas shoot through my head.

Millie said...

Please know that I am saying this with the deepest admiration and affection: Kathy, you are insane. 😄. More power to you, girl.

Northern Deb said...

I love thay you adopted these sweet blocks...and look at how CUTE they turned out!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I wanted to see it, but couldn't stay awake. Plus it was too bloody cold, about 22 when I went to bed, and 11 this morning!!

Rebecca Grace said...

How darling, and what a fabulous "scrap bin" donation!! That's what we should all do with our unloved orphan blocks and UFOs that are going nowhere. It can be very inspiring to pick up something someone else started and just take it in a new direction. Every HST deserves to make it to a finished quilt. :-)

Sarah said...

We set the alarm for 5am to see the moon eclipse but when my DH got up he said it was too cloudy. So I stayed in bed!!! Those little blocks are very cute, glad they found a good home!

Julierose said...

I didn't make it that late to see the eclipse--too cold, also...this morning -3 degrees with windchills of -11...
those are darling little blocks and i love your setting the salmon with the white..what a great idea...stay warm...hugs, Julierose

Deanna W said...

They are so cute. And how could you leave them on the table. That is what happened to me also this week. Three more orphans to take care of!!

Louise said...

What a neat little block that is! I've been looking for a HST layout and this really appeals to me. Thanks for sharing :)

Laura said...

Super sweet! Love it!

Needled Mom said...

That looks so nice. Great design!

MissPat said...

I need a plan for a 2 color crayon challenge using medium gray and lime green. This might just be a possibility. It's funny because I haven't been able to come up with an idea and now I've found two in one morning. Sharon Vrooman has a cute B&W on her blog hop post. Anyway, your squirrel using orpahn HSTs is inspired.
Pat

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love the play with these and your final design is very BoHo looking.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The layout is really cool! I like how the blocks all play together!

Nann said...

Oooh! What an unusual arrangement. I really like it -- now I'm thinking about that box of triangles in the drawer . . . And, yes, I saw the eclipse -- I dashed out to the front stoop three times (before, just starting, and in the middle). At 6 degrees I wasn't going to stay out to watch the whole thing!

Janet O. said...

Yes, I saw the moon, between the movement of the clouds. It was not clear here, so I was just lucky to see it at all!
Oh, you did wonderful things with those little HSTs! I want to copy your idea--eventually. :)

Ellen said...

These are adorable! I am searching for ways to use hsts and this looks like a winner. :)

Sandy said...

What a find! It's lovely, bright and cheery. I say a win win all the way around.

Jackie J said...

They look great Kathy. I love the layout!