Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Mysterious Decisions

As my regular blog readers know, I never miss a Bonnie Hunter mystery. She has posted the fabric requirements for her new mystery called "Good Fortune" and the first step will be released on Black Friday.
I have been assessing what my current stash situation is, what fabrics would I like to use up, and considering what colour combinations I feel like working with for the next several months.

"Double Delight" border print on the right  

Here are the things I have learned from sewing the mysteries over the years:

*One of my favourite ways to start a mystery quilt is to pick a fabulous border print and pull the mystery colours from that print. I did that with Double Delight and loved the outcome (you can see it here). I was nervous about putting the yellowy green with the aqua, but the border print had them both and looked lovely together, so I trusted that combination.





"En Provence" fat quarters


I also like starting with a special collection of fabrics that I love, and then add in scraps from my stash. I did this with En Provence starting with the Good Neighbors fabric line and adding in scraps from my stash. That method also turned out great.




"Grand Illusion" yardage
*I learned from making Grand Illusion that I am a scrappy quilter and am not happy when working with chunks of yardage. It's the same quilt making process, but my enjoyment is directly connected to having a lot of variety in the fabrics I am using. The more scraps there are, the happier I am. So no more yardage mystery quilts for me!



"On Ringo Lake" blocks



*It usually takes me a year to get the entire top together and sometimes another year (or more!) to finish the quilt. I mostly enjoy the piecing stage, and I adore making complex blocks with tons of little pieces which Bonnie's patterns usually have.





*The mystery quilts I have actually finished are the ones that are smaller in size and easier to quilt on my sewing machine. 
Finished "Angel (Celtic) Solstice"
This photo is my version of Celtic Solstice and it's one of my favourite quilts that I made from start to finish.
If the project becomes too large, I think about sending it out for quilting. But then I think about that decision for many years and don't actually follow through, and it doesn't get finished!
This year's mystery pattern is 72" square and I'm predicting that I will be able to finish that size within a year. And am also predicting that I will want to make it into a rectangle instead of a square quilt.

Are you planning to join in the Good Fortune mystery that starts on Friday?!? Stay tuned to see my fabric decisions!

16 comments:

SandraC said...

I am so tempted. I haven't participated in a couple of years, because as a longarmer, it's typically my busy time of year. Plus, all the current UFO's! I'll take another look at Bonnie's blog today and make up my mind.

Turid said...

You say it exactly like I would have said it. I love these mystery quilts, and always start them up. Think I've only finished one yet, one that I'm really proud of. But I've learnt a lot in the process. Waiting for Friday. See you there.

http://blackeyedsewsan.wordpress.com/ said...

Kathy-yes to Good Fortune...finishing it? Maybe before I die-
As to Double Delight-I had just finished a quilt for my niece's birth & ran upstairs to brush my teeth QUICKLY & my then 2 yr old son took the scissors to it and cut off an entire corner. He brandished the scissors saying Like Mommy like Mommy very proudly. I, on the other hand, was not so proud....

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will save the patterns like I normally do but then I never seem to get around to making the quilts

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I'm hoping to do it this year too! My sister is coming for a couple weeks but she is also a fabriholic and we will definitely sew together so who knows! I took one look at Bonnie's fabric pull and knew I had a box almost all set aside! Full of Kaffe Fasset fabrics :-). I had these in a bin from another project that isn't finished!!! But, might be abandoned. So, will use that and just need to add one colour, but Kaffe's always go together so bonus...just have to pull neutrals which I hope to do Friday! Good luck with yours. I love pulling fabrics from a multi print that I really like too. Sometimes it doesn't work for the borders, but you know the colours will go together if you like the fabric!!

Kate said...

This will be my 6th Bonnie Hunter mystery. All but Celtic Sunrise and On Ringo Lake are finished. It's always fun picking fabrics for the mystery, my goal is to use up some of the older yardage in my stash. Looking forward to seeing what color palette you've selected for Good Fortune.

Mary said...

Count down is on for my 7th Quiltville Mystery!!! I love watching the color choices. I'm posting mine later today. I NEED at least one constant in my Quilt. It helps in the collection of the fabrics I need to gather. Doing a few units in her colors, just for kicks and giggles.

Bonnie said...

Tempting yes, but reality says finish my Jamestown Landing (it needs quilting and binding...so very doable this year) and then get a border on Easy Street. So, no, I won't be sewing along on Good Fortune but I will be sewing and reading about everyone's Good Fortune.

Louise said...

I'm tempted this year and appreciate your tips on selecting fabrics. I love the look of scrappy quilts with tons of little pieces, but I don't love sewing them in big batches. I might save a few complicated blocks for RSC so I'm only making a few a month.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Alison V. said...

I'm playing along this year and just posted my color choices today! I am planning on doing half of the number of units to start and then seeing how far my fabrics take me. I'm only doing a slight modification of Bonnie's color scheme -- swapping out aqua for orange. I did ORL last year and then did Double Delight this spring. :D

MissPat said...

I'm sitting this one out. I have too many UFOs and WIPs to start another one, especially with little pieces and intricate blocks. I did finish a smaller size Celtic Solstice which I gifted to a grandson, but En Provence remains a flimsy. I need to finish some of the many RSC projects, too. So I'll follow along to see what everyone else does.
Pat

beaquilter said...

Good idea to start with what you love!

Sarah said...

I have lots of UFOs and I'm not into the mystery quilt thing, but I LOVE watching everyone else's quilts take shape!

Kristin said...

I’m on the fence. Last year’s quilt was a lot of fun, but it monopolized my quilt time for several months. We shall see... maybe I can do 1/2 size?

Karrin Hurd said...

I’m starting mine tomorrow. First time I’ve done one of Bonnie’s mysteries

Karen said...

You never miss a Bonnie Hunter Mystery and I never do one. I am not good at keeping interest in a mystery quilt once I start. The Quilting Rockstars Facebook group are doing a Friday night sew along (live with HollyAnne Knight of String and Story) and working on the mystery quilt. Have you ever visited the live feed she does?