Monday, October 15, 2018

Design Wall - Blockheads



Here is my Blockhead collection so far from last year's patterns. 
One applique block is missing, but is in progress and should be finished soon.
I just couldn't resist putting all the blocks on the design wall to start thinking about a possible layout. For me, it's a little too crowded and visually jarring when the blocks are placed side by side. What do you think?



How about when they are separated a bit? I think that's a little better. It's more restful and each block can be seen easier. I think this  layout will work ... simple sashing and maybe scrappy cornerstones. What do you think? Any ideas you want to throw my way?

Click here to find all these Blockhead patterns.
If you hop over to the Moda blog you can see Tammy's amazing finished Blockheads quilt. It is stunning and I love her layout idea with half the blocks on point and the other half bordered and straight set. I must remember this layout idea for one of my future quilts. 
Hop over to Small Quilts to see more Design Wall posts.

15 comments:

Kleine Vingers said...

Beautiful colors you have choosen. I think I like the setting with a sashing best.

Gretchen Weaver said...

When blocks are laid side by side, they look cluttered and I have trouble seeing the actual blocks. They all run together into a big smear. With sashing you can view the individual blocks and see how lovely each one is.

Cathy Melancon said...

Great job as always, Kathy! I do like your idea of sashing and cornerstones. Any way you pick, it will be beautiful!!!

Margaret said...

Kathy, I like your idea of using sashing, but I think scrappy cornerstones might provide more visual clutter. Your blocks are absolutely beautiful, and you are going to have a beautiful quilt when it’s all done.

Karen said...

I definitely like the separation of the blocks better. It lets each block shine.

Anne said...

Have you checked out the Blockhead Facebook page? Participants posted an incredible variety of original layouts last winter and spring. Enter "blockhead 1 tops" in the search box under files, choose "most recent" to get chronological order, then just keep scrolling down. I did mine half on-point and half straight-set too, but all the finishes were fantastic. Good luck.

Kindred Quilts said...

Each block is beautiful and deserves individual attention, so I like your idea of sashing with or without cornerstones. It will be a stunning quilt when completed!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

You can easily add a small border to each or your little blocks then sew that together. I makes up nicely! I am not sure, but think that is what Tammy did.

Or you can put the quilt on point. I like your colors and the blocks! Nice work!

Sarah said...

I think I'm with you and a little space around each block is more restful. They are so beautiful!

Sandy said...

Totally agree with you. Side by side, their too busy and you don't get to see the beauty of each block. I like space between so you can see each block and appreciate it. I can visualize a darker contrasting border around each block, so those beautiful blocks truly pop out!
Sandy's Space

KaHolly said...

You’re right about it being too busy side by side. Tammy’s finished top looks awesome! Maybe border the dark with light and the light with dark?

Rebecca Grace said...

Your blocks look amazing! I agree; skinny sashing is the way to go.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yes, sashing and cornerstones for those blocks.

Nann said...

They look wonderful. I agree: sashing and cornerstones will let each block shine but bring unity to the group.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love the fall tone of these!! (I know I"m still a no replyer....still trying to figure out how to fix it.)