Sunday, September 02, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching - Photo Challenge


Welcome to the weekly party for hand stitching enthusiasts!

This past week I hand stitched 221" of quilt binding in order to finish my August UFO before the end of the month. You can see the finished quilt here.




Part of the hand stitching was done while sitting on this bench. It is one of my favourite places to sit and think and stitch. It's very quiet here, just the sound of the water, with occasional geese and birds flying by.  As summer comes to an end, and the temperatures drop making it more comfortable to be outside, I want to soak up as much outdoor time as possible. 
As you can see, Granddog Max stands guard to make sure that no one walks too close to the stitching.





This gave me an idea for another Slow Sunday Stitching Photo Challenge. We haven't had one for a while and I would love to see where you do your hand stitching when the weather is good.  It would be great if you could take a photo while stitching in your favourite place and put it on your blog post today. What is the view you enjoy in your corner of the world? 

All blogs in the link up with a photo of their stitching place will be entered to win the draw for 2 fat quarters - one fabric is of old fashioned cameras (of course it is... it's a photography challenge!) and the other is a white on white fabric with turtles.

Wait, you can hardly see the turtles... let me try again. 
Can you see them now?
So cute!
Turtles honour the Slow Sunday Stitching motto of taking one step/stitch at a time, savouring any slow progress, and understanding the value of deliberately moving in the direction of your goals.



Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching  progress with us. And I hope you'll stop by tomorrow to see my second block for the Save the Bees BOM. I'll be finishing the hand applique this afternoon.

   
    An InLinkz Link-up
   

21 comments:

Kate said...

What a pretty place to sit and stitch. It's rare that I stitch outside, unless we are on vacation some place. It's too hot here much of the year and then too cold the rest. It really seems like we get one warm up week between winter and summer, then one cool down week between summer and autumn!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I just saw this morning that you wanted photos of where we stitch - I like Kate do not have a special place to sit and stitch - it is too hot outside usually for about 4 or more months outside so do most of my stitching in the house. I write my post and schedule it for the early morning so it was already written when I saw your suggestion for a post from all of us. It looks like you have a nice spot but that bench would be too hard for my bony back LOL - I have to have plenty of cushions for an outside chair or bench to be comfortable.

Sarah said...

That looks like an idyllic place to spend some time! I do stitch outside, often in my garden. So Im off to take a snap and update my blog with said picture....lol.

SandraC said...

Can't wait to see the next Save The Bees block!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

What a beautiful spot to do some hand sewing! That would appeal to me, too!

Denise :) said...

You've got a pretty stitching spot! Love that turtle print...I'm a turtle loving gal! I snapped an inside and an outside shot ... because, afterall, it is college football season! Happy Labor Day weekend! :)

CathieJ said...

I like your photo challenge. I updated my blog just to be entered in your contest. Your stitching spot has such a gorgeous view. I think I would try to stitch on that bench a little bit every day. That quilt that you have finished is beautiful.

Susie Q said...

My sitting window looks across the street. The house there has a new view..... a kitten sitting in their window watching Sunday go by.....

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wonderful spot you have there. Raining here today but maybe veranda stitching this afternoon. Love your quilt and admire your work!

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

Your stitching place looks so quiet and restful! I also like to sit outside and stitch. Where we live, it is possible most of the time to get outside at least for some part of the day. I find that sitting outside in our courtyard in the early morning on a weekend before anyone else in the house is awake, and stitching while drinking my coffee is a perfect way to start my day.

Deb A said...

Love your stitching place! Yikes... I guess I need to pull out the first save the bees block parts and get that one finished!

Needled Mom said...

What a beautiful place to sit and hand stitch, The quilt looks stunning there too.

Deb said...

Such a lovely view and place to sit and stitch, my first place to stitch outdoors is always the beach which is also my number one happy place where I go to rejuvenate these old bones. Enjoy your outside stitching while the weather is nice.

Chantal said...

You have a fabulous place to stitch and rest. I love it. Enjoy! ;^)

Happy said...

I'm new to hand stitching, and I don't have a blog, but today I spent my sewing time working on hand applique for a quilt block from the Splendid Sampler. I ended up rather achy - I didn't realize this was using completely different muscles in the neck and back than sewing at the machine, but it's obvious in retrospect! I better build up it before trying a full day of slow stitching again! :)

Birthe Marie said...

It is wonderful sewing outdoors. You have a wonderful view. Enjoy your stitching! Here where I live I have to sit indoors now. This summer has been very varm, but that is unusually. Now the autumn has started. :-)

Little Penpen said...

Hi Kathy, this is the first time I've linked up, but come here regularly to see what you slow stitchers are doing. I've haven't done too much outside sewing, but hope to do so when the weather gets a little cooler.

Jill said...

An interesting twist to Slow Stitching today. Fun!

Miaismine said...

Beautiful stitching spot and project! Cutie pie puppy as well! Love your view! Thank you for hosting!

Unknown said...

On our deck when warm enough

Unknown said...

My stitching chair faces our beautiful wood burning fireplace. It also sits right beside our doorwall and another large window which opens up the view to the golf course. We are on a fairway in the middle of the tee shot and the hole. And yes we get many a golf balls in our yard, deck and house ! much excitement during the summer. I love the turtle fabric. Can you share where this is from ? Thank you.