Sunday, September 23, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Fall has arrived on the calendar and the weather here has finally taken a turn for the better. It has been a long hot summer here, and since fall is my favourite season, the drop in daily temperatures is a welcomed relief. We can throw open the windows, enjoy the fresh cooler air, and spend more time outside.
Yippee...quilting weather is on it's way! It's almost cool enough to get out my big hand quilting project... soon.

Gail Pan "I Stitch" blocks
For now I am working on my "I Stitch" embroidery blocks by Gail Pan. I posted my most recently finished block as my blog header photo (scroll up). And here are the blocks I have stitched so far. I am using up small pieces of leftover muslin as a base for these little embroideries which measure about 3" x 4". These blocks will be either appliqued or pieced to fabric some day. I haven't decided what I want to do with them. That's how I do prefer to do things... just start stitching (or driving, or shopping, or chatting, etc) and see what evolves. The best laid plans never work out as you think they will, so developing complex plans and expectations is just a waste of time. It's called the "go with the (creative) flow" approach to life!
Gail has sent out 24 blocks to the project subscribers so far (3 per month) so I am a bit behind. That's okay... I'm loving every slow stitch!  I have traced out a little owl design to work on today.


What are you hand stitching? Is it comfortable weather where you live and are you able to stitch outside? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with the slow stitching community. We love to see what you are creating!

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   


19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's cooled off here too, I'm now wearing jeans and a flannel shirt to the barn in the morning instead of shorts and a tank top. Autumn is a beautiful season! Enjoy embroidering this afternoon.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I have been covered up in other projects and my redwork hasn't had a stitch added in weeks. I don't think I'll get back to it until November, but in the meantime I'll be doing a wool stitchery for Autumn Jubilee. I'll link that one when I get to it in October.

Kim said...

I too love to go with the creative flow. 'Tis so much more exciting! Your embroideries are very sweet.

Julierose said...

Much cooler here this morning--54 degrees--a bit chilly now to be sitting outside, but we'll take it gratefully after the Summer's heat and humidity.
I love how your blocks are coming together..beautiful stitching...hugs, Julierose

Birthe Marie said...

Your small Gail Pan embroideries are so cute. It's a good idea and wait to see what you want to make of the embroideries. :-)

Kathy S. said...

Love your go with the creative flow attitude. I do many things that way too. Can't wait to see the little owl. It's in the mid 50's here in Ohio. Could need sun screen tomorrow... I guess we just go with the flow on the weather for sure too. Have a great week!

CathieJ said...

Those blocks are so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing that owl. The cooler weather is just starting to come to Long Island today.

MissPat said...

I love all these little blocks. I think I looked them up once before. I may have to go back for a second look. I have so much creative flow going on that there are little (sometimes big) puddles everywhere. Time to concentrate on finishing something. 44° here this AM. We dropped from 92° Friday to 62° yesterday.
Pat

Little Penpen said...

Oh goodness, those embroideries are adorable!!!

Karen said...

Sweet embroidery blocks. I would work the same as you. Just embroider the blocks and let inspiration hit along the way as to how to set them.

Deb said...

Well autumn has finally arrived though here in Florida it may be hard to tell, but really low 90's during the day with a bit of dryer air does make it feel more comfy. I love those Gail Pan embroideries you are working her designs always make me smile. I work on embroidered pieces quite often not knowing how I will complete them I just love having something to stitch.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your stitches. I wasn't going to try to link up while we are on the road in the camper but had good wifi still this morning so I linked. Round We Go will be a finished top before I know it - I wasn't sure what kind of progress I would make hand piecing it on the road in between seeing things but the evenings were so chilly in the mountains I was in the camper staying warm and sewing.

Sarah said...

Those little stitching projects are so sweet!

Suzanne said...

In the last few months, I have come around to the same idea...go with the flow...Your stitching is always beautiful. I received my package from you this week from the "Save the Bees" drawing...thank you so much!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love working that way also! I no longer have the desire to follow a pattern step by step. I think it just shows we have a few more skills than when we started quilting.

Lyndsey said...

I really love those little stitching projects.

Denise :) said...

Oooh, some fun projects linked up today! I adore all the cute little motifs you're stitching -- they're so fun! :)

Kate said...

Very pretty little stitcheries. It's cooled off here a bit, but it's also been rainy, so it's been hard to enjoy it.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Very nice ❤️