Monday, September 24, 2018

Design Wall Monday

Julie is hosting a log cabin loonie sew-along. I have started two projects - one project uses Julie's pattern with 1" strips precut to accurate size (click here to see my first 8 log cabin blocks) and one project uses 1.25" strips using a "cut as you go" technique. 
Here are my 1.25" log cabin blocks on the design wall. I'm using a more loosey goosey kind of approach to building these log cabin blocks. Add a scrap, finger press, chop off the end and keep going around. The blocks don't all end up the exact same size with this technique, but I'm okay with that. 
I wasn't really paying attention when I started to build the blocks but realize now that some have a dark centre/light last round, and some have a light centre/dark last round. This makes them go together in a pleasing way, so I'm going to be more purposeful about getting an even balance of the light or dark centres.
I'm loving the fall colours to work on at this time of year, so I'm cutting more strips to make more blocks.
Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and the Log Cabin Loonies over at Julie's.
Happy Monday!




AND just because this made me smile... I remember going to work on a Monday morning to work at a desk that actually looked like this! 

11 comments:

julieQ said...

OH I love those blocks!! More inspiration for me...hee!!!

Judy D in WA said...

OH Kathy! I had to go look and now have a new project spinning in my head! Love your blocks.

Mary said...

Have fun with your new blocks. Fall time has arrived at your house.

Chris said...

My desk still looks like that plus some crumbs and nail polish stains.

Cathy said...

Wonderful cabins in the autumn woods!
I remember those work days too! Only my desk had piles and piles and piles of papers on it too.

Janet O. said...

Yes, the alternating value placement does make them come together nicely.
Love that desktop. :)

SandraC said...

Hmmm, I'm about to start a scrappy log cabin with 1"-wide strips. I've thought that the blocks wouldn't work out if I didn't cut precise logs...but that would take longer. After reading your post, I think it would be quick to do it without the measuring and then squaring things up afterwards....thanks!

Louise said...

Those fall colors just jumped off my screen this cool, gray morning! Lovely :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love your new header, btw and cute cartoon-so true. Autumn log cabin blocks so appropriate!

Janie said...

Yes, The World Before Social Media, the same concepts, a different format!
Great work on your Log Cabin blocks.

Kate said...

Very fun log cabin blocks. You'll have a finish there pretty quickly. Love your desk meme! It boggles the minds of some of the younger scientists that I work with when I tell them we used to have to wait 2 weeks to get a copy of a paper that wasn't in our library and that it actually came via the postal service, not email. I'm not sure some of them believe me.