Wednesday, September 26, 2018

UFO of the month

The big reveal of Kevin's mystery project called Sapphire Stars happened on October 1st last year. My version (that I am calling "Emerald Stars") got stalled at the border stage, which is typical for me when sewing a mystery. Once the mystery is revealed, and the fun sewing is done, it's harder for me to push to the end to finish the "boring borders"!
Well these borders were not boring at all, but they did involve a lot of sewing and measuring. Look how much bigger my borders were than my quilt top. I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen! LOL 
Oh well... just chop off the extra and call it "done"!
And it is done!
Almost 1 year to the day of the end of the mystery, it's finally a finished quilt top. Thank you again to Kevin for the fun mystery experience and for designing such a dynamic quilt pattern to share with us!



The clothesline photo has the sun shining on the back of the quilt which makes it look "see through", which it's not in real life. The sun does give the quilt a pretty, luminous quality though!

This is the largest quilt top I have made in a while and I think it's the only quilt I've ever made that touched the ground for the clothesline photo! It is the perfect size for my son's bed but it will be a real challenge for me to quilt on my domestic machine. 

I'm getting ready to piece a backing using a chunk of wide backing fabric that isn't quite big enough, and some of the blocks leftover from making the quilt top.



I'm very happy to share that I met my "One Monthly Goal"! 
Hop over to the September finishes link up to see the other accomplishments that happened this month.

17 comments:

Laura said...

Your version looks great! Can't wait to see it quilted!

Louise said...

It's really pretty, Kathy! I'm glad you pushed through the boring part and made those dynamic borders for a flimsy finish :)

Carol Swift said...

This is a gorgeous quilt!

Karen said...

The one block design looks like it would not be the easiest to stitch. You did good. I bog down at applique borders.

Alison V. said...

This is beautiful!

AnnieO said...

Looking good. I like your color choices!

Jenny said...

A great finish, congrathlations

audrey said...

What a great looking quilt! Love the scrappy factor especially.:)

Tracie @ Riceford Streams said...

Great quilt!

Mary said...

Yea for a finish before the last day in September. Looks great hanging there.

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on your finish! It’s a beautiful quilt!

piecefulwendy said...

That is a really pretty quilt, Kathy! I didn't follow Kevin's mystery QAL and now I wish I had. Maybe I'll catch his next one!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Woohoo! I never got mine finished (yet).

Patty said...

Gorgeous quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Kate said...

Congrats on a very fun and pretty finish! It's not hard to stall on the borders. I'm not sure why that is, but I have the same problem.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Kathy! Your "Emerald Stars" is beyond gorgeous! I love the sun light shining through, especially as we are approaching fall.....it makes it feel so appropriate for this time of year! I am proud of you for finishing your goal, and very pleased that you powered through those borders! I hope your son loves it as much as I do! Congrats on your beautiful and scrappy finish!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I REALLY like this quilt. Your color choices really make this quilt so inviting.