Wednesday, October 11, 2017

UFO Update

Due to recent spamming, I've had to change my blog settings to "comment moderation" which is unfortunate but temporarily necessary from time to time. That just means that all of your wonderful comments will be delayed in showing up on the blog for a little while until the spam machine moves on to greener (unmoderated) pastures :)

Meanwhile in my quilt studio, the October UFO has been pin basted and the machine quilting has begun. I always begin the quilting with some stitch-in-the-ditch grid lines to stabilize the 3 layers together and those lines are done.


Because this is a sampler quilt, I am quilting each block differently. Some blocks just want a simple straight line design. I use my Bohin chalk marker and a small ruler to mark some lines to follow. The pink chalk is my favourite because it shows up on most fabrics.


This photo show how this block looks from the back. Just simple straight lines. 
I am not hand sewing the thread ends in on this project. It's just a family quilt, so I'm taking a few stitches in the same spot to fasten the thread at the beginning and end of the line of quilting, and then just clipping the thread. It makes a tiny knot and doesn't look as pretty, but it's faster and easier than burying all the threads by hand when there are so many starts and stops in these quilting designs

In some blocks there are fabrics that have a pretty design that can easily be free motion stitched. In this block I started some free motion quilting on the outlines of the flowers.
It's a fun challenge to think of a different quilting design for each block of the quilt. 

Linking up to Let's Be Social over at Sew Fresh Quilts.

11 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Well, I learned something new today! I never thought to tie off or bury the tails of threads when machine quilting! I just clipped them off! Oh no! I haven't made a lot of quilts. I would guess maybe ten. I don't know if anyone has washed any of them, but I do know most of them have been used (not wall hangings.) I will have to eep an eye on them and see if the quilting holds up. Your sampler quilt looks lovely and I like your idea of quilting each block differently. Do you use the same color thread in each block?

Julierose said...

Oh nice quilting in process...this will be lovely hugs, Julierose

Deb A said...

Sorry about the spammers - hopefully they find something better to do with their time soon. So fun to pick a different quilting design for each block. That reminds me I need to prep things then send my machine to the spa while away on business next month. Must go call them and schedule it!

Elaine Adair said...

Interesting to hear your thoughts about burying threads ... I never have and am not thrilled with the little "bumps" of tiny stitches. I might just start using my special needle made especialy for that process - that's what I bought it for but never used. 8-((

Darn spammers! Good luck with the changes. elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kathy,
That is great that you are quilting each block differently. I can't wait for you to show us the back so we can see all your hard work. Darn spammers - can't they use their time for something useful? I have my blog moderated too, though. Once someone posts the first time, then they are approved for more/additional posts going forward. ~smile~ Roseanne

Lisa J. said...

I also do those tiny stitches. If I ever get around to entering something in an amazing show ha ha, I guess I'll bury the threads.

Janice Holton said...

Hi Kathy, I am thinking along those same lines of quilting a different motif in each different section of a quilt I made. I was curious if you keep a notebook or a document of some sort with all of your favorite motifs. When it comes time to quilt, I probably won't be able to remember enough different ones to make it interesting!

Lorna McMahon said...

Your custom quilting for each block will make this quilt especially nice. I sometimes get bored with my quilting so I'm looking forward to seeing your beautiful finish! Well worth all the time spent!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I got 6 Arabic spam messages on my blog yesterday. I hope it doesn't happen again, since I don't want to change my comment settings, either.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a lovely quilt. I also like the way you quilted it.

Kate said...

You've gotten a great start on the quilting. Hope it all goes smoothly.