Tuesday, October 03, 2017

UFO for October


This is the project I chose for October's UFO. This is the Aurifil Block of the Month project from 2016 (free patterns still available here). The blocks were made in 2016, and the top was sewn together in March of this year.
One of the lessons of this quilt was to remind me to not worry about fabric substitutions. I miscalculated on the sashing fabric amount and couldn't find any more of the red fabric in local quilt shops to finish sashing the blocks. Eventually I added a second red and you don't even notice it. And if you did notice it, I think it adds more interest to the quilt.

My first step will be to piece a backing and cut some batting. Pin basting will hopefully commence this week.

To see more UFO goals, hop over to One Monthly Goal.

10 comments:

  1. I printed several of the patterns for this BOM, but never did get around to making them. Life got in the way. Maybe I will use some of them eventually for one of our charity quilts. I absolutely love your red and white version of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sashing looks amazing. Looks like it is meant to be. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks perfect! Good luck accomplishing your OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to take a page from your book and get some of my UFO finished.So many to do and all I want to do is start new quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great one to finish in October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would never have picked up on the different sashing if you hadn't mentioned it. It looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't notice and then almost couldn't find it when I looked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really don't notice the second red. But making those decision is sometimes really hard. Good luck finishing off this UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been collecting donations of red & white blocks from my guild members to assemble a Quilt of Valour or two, and they are all quite different in the shades of both reds and whites. Some are questionable as to whether the choice of reds actually counts as red, lol. Anyway, I've been thinking of how to sash them, and been unable to think how to sash them in a way that will pull all the blocks together. I like how you have done yours...I will look for a light red print to make a border around each block, and then to sash with. I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea!

    ReplyDelete