Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sewing and Canning



Thank you to everyone who commented on Monday's blog post about the Christmas quilt. I got some good ideas, and decided to keep the "loud" mug in the quilt. 

I moved it to the bottom corner block and have proceeded with sewing the quilt top together. 

The kitchen has been busier than the sewing room around here this week. Night frosts are killing the plants, so all the garden produce needed to be cleared out. I made Zucchini Salsa and it turned out great. I can not tell you how satisfying it is to make something yummy, using only the vegetables I have grown in my garden...zucchini, onions, tomatoes and peppers. I also found these dissolvable labels to try this year, so I hope they are easier to remove from the canning jars than the labels I usually have to scrub and scrub and scrub to remove.

6 comments:

Ellen said...

We didn't have a garden this year for a few reasons so I am missing out on the canning and we won't be reaping any of the rewards...pretty sad. We are hoping to have one next year.

I have found that rubbing a bit of cooking oil on the label residue helps to get it all off.

Janet O. said...

Looks yummy. I don't grow everything this takes.
But I did help my Dad pick his pears and I have a box of those I need to tackle today.

Deanna W said...

Yahoo for the move of the mug to the bottom!!My idea!!! lol
Those labels are great...except in the summer when the jar sweats on the table in the humid weather, the labels will start to disintegrate. I started to use them this year too. I made 4 batches of salsa (just regular kind) now my family is so happy and better eat lots of it this winter.Happy Canning!!!

Missy Shay said...

I've never tried zucchini salsa, but I have used dissolvable labels and love them!

Mary said...

Nice to have things from your own garden to can. My favorite meals are from the garden. I need to get my Cucumber relish made before it FREEZES everything. FALL is almost here. Glad you're keeping all the blocks in your Quilt. Can hardly wait to see it finished.

antique quilter said...

I love the mugs and have been thinking of making a mug quilt myself.
thats wonderful that you can savor your garden thru the winter...
salsa sounds good :)
Kathie