Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Treadling on Tuesday

I have had a great time learning to treadle on my new/old Singer. The first few seams had some tension issues, but I was determined to improve the stitch. 
fiddled around with the knobs and dials, and finally resorted to reading the instruction manual (yes...the original instruction manual!) and got the tension and stitch length working well.

I was sewing scraps together and was amazed at how quickly I caught on to the foot movements required to work the machine, and it was so FUN!  I was zipping along and enjoying the sound of the treadling, and how smoothly the machine was working considering it hasn't been used much, if at all, for years. 

But then...the belt broke. Waaa :(
I asked the quilters on the TreadleOn list and got some great advice on belt replacement. So my new/old Singer is temporarily on the disabled list, but not for long... we should be back in business before you know it!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy... I have found belts at Nova sewing Centre on Ottawa street in Hamilton... mind you that was years ago but they do carry a lot of parts for machines... happy treadling, Karen Zandstra (Quilt Junction)

Deb A said...

Oh no! That would be my worry with an old machine but one you have the new part on it sounds like you are going to be a busy lady on that treadle. A workout while sewing.... I may have to think of getting one!

Sharrieboberry said...

My mom loved her treadle (before she traded it in many years ago). She said it was the BEST at mending denim. I have 2 brothers and mom was always mending their jeans. And dad's too!

June said...

So sorry to hear that the belt broke. I wonder if treadling on a Singer is anything like treadling on a spinning wheel? I've got a lot of experience with that!!

Sheila said...

Oh no. I bet it has never been replaced. Hope you find a new belt soon. Please keep us posted. You make me want a treadle.

Darlene said...

Well dang it. Hopefully you'll be treadling away again very, very soon. I learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle and have wonderful memories.

Janet O. said...

I am thrilled that you got the rhythm down--I sooo want a treadle! Hope you are up and treadling again real soon. Sounds like a blast! : )

Terri said...

Is there some way you can put a sealant over the gold to preserve it quick before it starts to wear away? (We have things they didn't hve in the old days... that could keep it beautiful, and still be able to use it.)
Hugs

Cheryl said...

Hopefully this machine will have a shorter stay "at the spa" than your previous one..... at least it is a straight forward repair...... :-)

barbara woods said...

bet that was fun! we have an old treadle but it has a electric machine in it

Missy Shay said...

You can download the manual from ISMACS also, I know I was missing pages from my manual.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Hey Kathy: I've had company for the last 5 weeks or so and finally got caught up reading your blog today!! Do you know where KW sewing machines is? Their website is:

http://www.kwsewingmachines.com/

I've been there several times and he has a lot of older machine parts around and should carry treadle belts. Shouldn't be too far from your place. In Guelph, there's also a place...Triangle Sewing Machines?? Can't remember the name for sure, but something like that :-). Hope this helps. Love your Singer 27. I have one just like this. I learned to sew on this style machine when I was 7 and sewed on it til I was 19. When we started collecting machines, I got one at a yard sale (also $40!) in pristine condition. It was like riding a bike...sit down and it all came back :-). Now I have a 15-88 with the round bobbin that holds a lot more thread :-).

Jacqui