Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Triangulation

I am bragging again today...another quilt is finished...woohoo! We have a quilt show coming up so I'm pulling out all the stops to finish up some UFO's, and have absolutely promised myself to not start anything new until after the show. This was a quilt I started at a mystery quilt class in June - you can read about it here .  It was challenging to get the triangles sewn together in rows and get the seams to match up, but I was happy with the outcome.
I quilted it very simply...all stitch in the ditch - horizontal, vertical and diagonal, and then I free motion outlined the yellow triangles in the centre of the blocks.
Here is a photo of the back of the quilt. I hope you can see the quilting. Some of my photos enlarge when you click on them, which seems to be a random process that I don't understand, so maybe you can click on these to see them in a larger window for more detail.


After I had finished all the quilting, I looked back at the pattern by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr in the American Patchwork & Quilting magazine (April 2009 Issue 97) to find that I had sewn it together incorrectly! The design is called "Balancing Act" and they lined up the triangles differently than I did. (You can see more about the pattern and order a kit here.) This is a bad photo of the magazine page, but hopefully you can see where I went wrong, or where I creatively made my own version of the design...yes, let's go with that story! My "balancing act" is a little different from how it "should" be done (in many ways...lol).
And here is a photo of one of my favorite parts of quilting...putting on the binding. Some relaxing hand stitching, the satisfaction of finishing another quilt, and loving that striped fabric I chose for the binding!

15 comments:

Gina said...

I think it looks great as it is. It's now undenyably yours. I never follow a pattern exactly as I like to add a little Gina to a quilt. You've just added a little Kathy to yours.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Mary said...

Binding is almost my favorite part. I like putting on the Label, Stash-buster style. A square folded into a tri-angle and stitched into the corner.

Jean said...

This looks great...I like how yours make diamonds. Great idea Kathy!!!!

Quilt Rat said...

Looks great........congrats on another finish. Love the striped binding.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is so beautiful. I like the way you did it.

Andrea said...

Yours is much better Kathy and I'm not just saying that cos you're my quilt buddy :-) I love the colours - in fact I am doing one in similar colours for Jess's boyfriend right now. Well done for another finish.

Fiber Babble said...

Love the quilt (as usual) !! You've done a great job!

About the pictures in Blogger - if your original picture is small enough to fit in your blog without resizing (200-400 px wide is a normal "max" range, depending on your template), then Blogger won't resize it when you upload it. If the pic isn't resized, then there's no need for it to be clickable. The pic of your Triangulation quilt is over 1,100 px wide in its original format, so that's why it gets resized and is clickable.

Keep up the great work - you're sure accomplishing a lot this year!!

Ruthie said...

I absolutely LOVE your version!

swooze said...

Yours is more appealing to me. I think it has a cleaner look. Of course I am miss matchy uppy too.

Vicki W said...

I like your version better!

Rose Marie said...

I like your version, too! Well done! When is your quilt show and where?

Greenmare said...

i loved that pattern in my magazine too, and yours is fabulous! i like both versions!!

Quirky said...

I much prefer your version - it has much more satisfying symmetry elements.

julieQ said...

Not bragging, just showing us your lovely quilt!! You should be proud, it is great, love the colors. Hand binding is my favorite too.

Kathy said...

It's beautiful and no one will know you did yours differently. Nice job, thanks for sharing...Kathy