Thursday, September 03, 2009

Mini Quilt Series #1 - #3

When you're trying to use up fabric and not add to your stash like I am, you have to resist purchasing a lot of gorgeous fabric. My personal compromise is that when I see fabric I really like, I only buy a small piece or a charm pack. Such was the case when I saw the Swanky line by Moda when I was at Paducah in the spring....I had to have a little bit of it. Perhaps it was the bright, happy, citrus colours that appealed to me after a long, dark winter! (To see the fabric line click here.)
I cut up the charms into tiny pieces and started to make a
mini quilt series inspired by the ZigZag quilts I have seen on line. 
To see a good tutorial on making full size ZigZags click here.
This is the first mini in the series. It has an on pointe layout and is quilted with a simple 'stitch in the ditch'. I love the striped fabric that I found in my stash for the binding.  I'd plan to add beads to this one in the near future.
This is the second one - a straight layout, added a honey brown fabric on the border, and did some wavy free motion quilting following the path of the Zigzags.
The third one was made out of the green and orange pieces that didn't seem to play as nicely with the other colours. I don't know how it morphed into this non ZigZag design, but there it is! I had fun with the RicRac!
There is a fourth quilt in the series made up of all the tiny leftovers but I'll post about that another day.
We are having such spectacular weather here, I just have to go outside and soak up the sun!

2 comments:

Sara said...

How narrow did you cut your strips? I want to make a tiny zigzag quilt too, but don't know how small to go!

Gina said...

Love the minis

Love and hugs Gina xxx