Sunday, September 15, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly celebration of all hand stitched crafts! We hope you will join us in setting aside a few moments each Sunday for some relaxing stitching on your favourite project. Pick up a needle and thread, breathe deeply, and enjoy a little vacation from the responsibilities of your life.

In a year that has had way more starts than finishes, I am so delighted to be able to share a finished quilt called "5 Cats and Scraps". This is a mystery quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts from the spring of 2021.

Every day for 2 weeks Edyta Sitar posted a different block pattern and by the end of the time we had 225 blocks ready to sew together into a quilt top. 

This quilt was made completely from my scrap stash (except for the backing). There are 5 fussy cut cat blocks that wanted to be in the quilt (hence the name) and they just blend into all the other scraps that are florals, geometrics, plaids, mottled, and reproductions. Every day of the mystery I just grabbed a hand full of scraps and started cutting and sewing. It was one of my most fun to make quilts ever and I am delighted that it is finished!

The finished size is 61" square and it was machine quilted by Roxanne Caughill using the Handiquilter design called "Field of Flowers".

Because this quilt is so scrappy, I was unprepared to love it as much as I do! This was going to be a donation quilt but I have fallen in love with it, so am uncertain now!!

I have no idea what I will be stitching on today. My sewing room is a disaster and I will need to do a big tidy up before I can even find some projects to work on! LOL

What are you stitching today? Do you have some September starts? Any finishes to share? Link up your blog post below and show us your slow progress.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your quilt! The colors blend together so well! I understand why you want to keep this one. Happy cleaning!

Sarah said...

Love your cats and scraps quilt! I know what you mean about tidying up your sewing work space, I can loose things on my table for weeks! LOL

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a gorgeous finish! So many scraps and the fussy cut cats add a fun touch. Nice striped binding too. My sewing room often reaches the point where a grand tidy up is required. It’s the sign of a creative mind at work…

Kate said...

Congratulations on a beautiful finish. It is definitely a keeper. Happy stitching (or sewing room clean up) today.

CathieJ said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I can see why you may want to keep it. I bet you have memories of what project each scrap came from too. Enjoy finding your projects as you clean your sewing room.

Jill said...

Understandably, the scrap quilt would be hard to part with. So many pieces. Think how good you will feel after sewing room clean up.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, I had to clean up my studio this weekend in order to get projects done - it was so worth it. There's only one pile left. Love your scrappy cat quilt! Thanks for the linking party.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I just love how your quilt turned out, Kathy. Beautiful job! I hope you get your quilt studio tidied up quickly - there's quilting to work on. LOL. Have a blessed day. Hugs.