Sunday, September 08, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the second September hand stitching party!  It's time to slow down and find one of your projects to stitch. Also maybe make a cup of your favourite beverage to enjoy while you visit with other stitchers and work on your own stitching.

This week I spent a lot of hours on a quilt repair project. This is a large queen size sampler quilt that my sister made as a gift to a special friend. It has been loved and well used by a family, and was showing wear and tear at some of the seam lines. My brother-in-law took this photo of me working intently on hand stitching all the open seams.

This is an example of some seams that needed repair on a square within a square block. It was very interesting to see which seams did not hold up over time. I used many ideas that I learned in an online class that Carole (From My Carolina Home) taught me... thank you Carole! The quilt is restored to working order and is back on the family bed. Mission accomplished.

I have also been putzing along on finishing the scrappy binding on my own quilt. I am on the 3rd side now and hope to finish it tomorrow.



In cross stitch news, I finally finished the August Square Dance block of bee skeps. The September block of little chickens has been started and I hope to finish it before the end of the month.

What are you hand stitching this week? We hope you will link up your blog post below and share your updates with us!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Love the bee skep block. It's darling. And congrats on the repair. Saving a worn piece is always so satisfying.

Jill said...

Lots of stitching accomplishments this past week. Very generous with your time on saving a well-loved quilt.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lots of slow stitching going on at your house! So kind of you to fix the quilt your sister made. That takes patience! Can't wait to see the finished quilt that you are binding. The bee skeps look great too. Happy stitching to you!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like the class you took from Carole was really helpful! That's good to know - we all have quilts that need repair. Enjoy your stitching today, Kathy!

Kim said...

The quilt you have repaired looks as if it is a much loved quilt. Now you have added more years for it to be enjoyed. Enjoy stitching the binding on your quilt....I know you will. =)

Angela said...

That was so kind of you to repair the quilt!

Deb A said...

Love your bee stitchery. Thank you for sharing that you were mending a much loved quilt. It makes me feel better as I am mending some of mine....

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Sunday, Kathy. It is so wonderful that you are able to repair the quilt your sister made. I have enjoyed using some of Carole's tips from her blog as well. Have a blessed day and happy quilting.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your August cross stitch project! Happy stitching!

Michelle Suzanne said...

I know that family is so happy to have the repaired quilt back. It’s wonderful that it has been so well loved. Your bee block is so cute!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, thanks so much for the link to Carole concerning quilt repair. I have a few to do, so anything will help. Have a great Sunday.

audrey said...

Good for you, fixing an old, well loved quilt! Will have to check out the link as I have a couple fixes to do myself.:)