Monday, March 11, 2024

Design Wall Monday

My local quilt guild hosted a zoom sew day on Saturday and I made a lot of progress on my Hexagonal Spiral project.


This is from a John Flynn kit I bought in Paducah in 2009 and started last November. It is a brainteaser puzzle and was a challenge to get started. But now I'm at the point where the sewing is mindless. However accuracy is crucial in order to avoid a 3D curvy block. All the block edges are bias, so must be handled with care!


Each spiral block has 42 pieces and with 7 blocks in the design that's a total of 294 pieces sewn for each round. On Saturday I sewed an entire round on the 7 blocks and I still have these pieces to add.

This kit is no longer available but I have sewn 3 other kits from the John Flynn company (all laser cut from batiks) and have loved every one of them - highly recommend! Check them out - Carnival, Storm At Sea, and Wheel of Mystery. They have many other quilt designs available and if you dislike cutting fabric but enjoy sewing, you might like to try one of their kits. (I have no affiliation to this company, I'm just a happy customer!)

Linking up to Design Wall Monday

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

The spirals are amazing. I'm not sure I can deal with that may pieces. With our cockerpoo in the house I would be worried she would cause chaos if she ever got near them. She love small bits of fabric. Great work Kathy.

Robin said...

What a delightful quilt. Nice job getting things to lay flat.

Deb A said...

That is going to be a stunning quilt top.

Janet O. said...

Wow--this is stunning! And so fun and pretty, too. Kudos to you for powering through. I would probably just stare at the pieces and zone out.
I have never used a John Flynn kit, but his templates and method for a DWR quilt are genius, and someday I will finish the one I started years ago. LOL

Kate said...

Those look really complicated! It's going to be a stunning quilt. Enjoy your mindless stitching, we all need that occasionally.

Nann said...

Those blocks are so cool!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoa!! that is going to be so cool!!!!

Deanna W said...

Good to see this project out and getting worked on again