Sunday, March 17, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! Bring your own beverages and snacks, and enjoy perusing the link ups below.  

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Will your beverages be green? 
I have missed out on the celebrations this year since my Dad has been very sick this week, but improvement is hopefully coming, and I look forward to more rest and more stitching time this week. 
I really wanted to stitch one of Melisa's Irish inspired designs this year, and still hope to - my favourite is her St. Patty's stamp.

I did get some cross stitch done on my March birds (Square Dance by Heart in Hand). Do you notice that some of the birds are about the size of a fingernail? They are tiny and adorable!

I also got some embroidery stitches into a Anni Downs block from her Simple Pleasures book. I just felt like stitching a cat so I started. No rhyme or reason - purely impulse. Sometimes often that happens over here! LOL

Yesterday I celebrated a bit of International Quilting Day with a virtual zoom featuring a presentation from Kaffe Fassett. I was blown away! 



I was unprepared for how amazing he is, how his words would resonate with me, how gorgeous his photos would be, and how gobsmacked I felt with the beauty he shared! The above photo was inspired by buttons and circular shapes. I was riveted and inspired by how he effortlessly flowed between the mediums of quilting, embroidery, knitting, tile mosaics, crocheting, and even a pebble mosaic wall! I felt my spirits lifting with the colour and textures, my mouth gaping open at such beauty. Have you ever heard Kaffe speak or met him in real life? Is it just me, or is he a creative genius?!?

Anyway, I'll be in my sewing room today for a little bit (if we don't end up in the ER with my Dad overnight) and do hope to get some stitches into one of my relaxing projects.

What are you hand stitching today? Are you focused on a project, or starting things randomly like I seem to be doing? We hope you will share your projects with us and link up your blog post below.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

15 comments:

Kim said...

What a treat for you to hear a presentation from Kaffe Fassett! I have many books written by Kaffe and every page; the sublime photos of his stupendous creative talent and his words take one on a magical journey! There is no other like Kaffe Fassett. As you say, he is a genius.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Kathy, I'm so sorry your dad has been ill. I spent some hours in the ER with my mom this week, so I know how you're feeling. I hope he starts to feel better. Your event with Kaffe sounds amazing! Enjoy your stitching today!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I hope your dad is OK. Love your projects.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have not heard him speak - I need to find him on a you tube video or something! Sounds like you really enjoyed it

Angela said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Wishing him well. Now, I want to hear Kaffe speak and have some of his genius rub off on me!

Deb A said...

So sorry to hear about your Dad's health issues. It is very stressful for the caretakers so please make sure to take care of yourself as well. We have 3 elderly parents near us that keep us hopping the last year.

Karrin Hurd said...

Hope your Dad is on the road to recovery soon and you don't have to go to the ER. I first heard about Kaffe years ago, in my machine knitting days and have a sweater I completed that was in one of his knitting books.

CathieJ said...

I am so sorry to hear that your dad is ill. I know what it is to dread a possible ER visit. Praying for you and your family. I was surprised to see how small those birds are. What an adorable stamp. Enjoy all of your stitching. Hoping for an uneventful night.

Deb said...

I sure hope your Dad is doing better and you can avoid a trip tot eh ER. Your cross stitch is just lovely.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kathy, I hope that you had a little time to stitch and avoided the ER with your dad. It's so hard when parents get old. Best of luck and keep on stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sorry to hear your dad has not been well. I hope he’s feeling better soon. Sounds like a great way to celebrate Internationsl Quilting Day. I was at a quilting retreat all weekend and got tons done…stay tuned for my next blogpost.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Also sorry to hear about your dad! Hope he is okay now but I know with us old folks, there is always something.
Enjoy seeing all your stitching,Kathy. A few snow flakes here this morning but nothing sticking; so hope it stays that way!

Auntie Em said...

Hope your Dad is doing okay.
You have some projects going. I especially like those whimsical Square Dance birds. Happy Stitching!

Kate said...

Hope your dad is doing much better. I have several of Kaffe Fassetts quilt books, I love his use of all the color and textures in his quilts. Hope you've been able to fit in both some stitching time and some sewing time.

Deanna W said...

Hope things are going better with your dad. Kaffe is an interesting fellow for sure. Listened to him talk on a youtube show "the homely house". The lady of the homely house is quite interesting too.