Thursday, March 10, 2022

Baggie Challenge

Block construction

Well I am way past the deadline for this project, but I wanted to blog about it anyway. Last year Rogue Quilter Janet issued a scrap baggie challenge and I got started on mine in October - see my starting point here.
Then the blocks were ignored over Christmas, and they resurfaced again last month.


I started with 1" squares and strips from my friend Jackie, and made these sweet blocks. Would you call this a quarter log cabin block?




I made 9 blocks and they were supposed to be 3". Some of them needed trimming which means my 1/4" seam allowance was not consistent. UGH. A difference of 1/8" - 1/4" is a big problem when working with miniature quilt blocks and I should have checked/measured more frequently during construction, but I was having too much fun.



I set the blocks with a 1" sashing and black cornerstones. It was fiddly work getting the rows together and having the seams match up, and I often had to say "close enough".


Here is the finished quilt appropriately called "Jackie's Scraps". It measures 10" square.

You can read more about the bloggers who met the deadline here.


Even though I made a hanging sleeve and sewed it into the  binding at the top of the quilt, for some unknown reason, I am currently enjoying hanging it this way!

I love the scrappy neutrals!

Thanks for the challenge Janet and I'm sorry I missed the deadline :)



10 comments:

ButterZ said...

Well done. I like it hanging diagonally too

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love those tiny blocks - I find when making tiny blocks I am always off a little bit and yes a 1/4 inch can make a diffence

Angie said...

It may have been fiddly, but I love the result - too cute!

Mary said...

I missed the Deadline too. Started a bit late on the Challenge. My Pink blocks are still blocks. Love all the neutrals. I have finished the Black ones for a Quilt Guild Challenge. Mine were from Grand Illusion circa 2015.

Janet O. said...

Wow, Kathy, you may be late to the party, but you brought such a lovely gift! This is really striking, and nobody notices the "close enough" places. It is so pretty. I love the black and neutral with just that soft blue as an accent. And you put the blocks on point without the bother of setting triangles. Brilliant!! LOL

loulee said...

Wow, what a lovely little quilt.

MissPat said...

My choice of words would probably have been much less polite than "close enough" when sewing such tiny blocks together. Any time I have so many seams in a small block, the block inevitably shrinks. But you finished it and that's the important part.
Pat

Maggie said...

What a beautiful quilt! The blocks are tiny and pieced beautifully.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

So teeny and so so cute, Kathy. I love the layout of the blocks.Well done. Have a very lovely weekend. Happy quilting.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You missed the deadline, but still ended up with a sweet little quilt, Kathy. Congrats on sticking with (or circling back to) the project!