Monday, February 07, 2022

Design Wall Monday

You will never believe what is on the design wall today! My version of "Unity" has emerged from the UFO closet! It's time to get to work on this one.

This project was started at the beginning of the pandemic and was a mystery pattern from Bonnie Hunter. It went into the UFO closet in the summer of 2020 when I got stuck on the layout decisions. I didn't want to make an enormous quilt and this quilt top already measures 57 1/2" x 72 1/2", without the other border on top.

When I added the words to my quilt it made the quilt too long to add the final turtle borders to the top and bottom. 

My plan of the moment is to figure out the math to add the turtle borders to the sides of the quilt. The turtles will be swimming up and down instead of side to side, but I think that will be a good solution.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Judy's

15 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Those turtle blocks are cute. Did you consider removing the bottom border and calling it done so it is smaller? Then the other border blocks and the turtle blocks could be a quilt of their own. Just a thought.

Sara said...

I love, love, love your version! Adding the words was ingenious. You'll figure out how to make the turtle blocks work for you.

Kat Scribner said...

Your unity quilt is fabulous !!! Love it.

loulee said...

What a bright and happy quilt. I'm sure the turtles will be happy to swim alongside.

Kim said...

Whichever way your turtles swim will be good. This is a beautiful quilt. Love the words!

Miaismine said...

How pretty and appropriate this quilt is - it goes great with your slow stitching word embroidery! :)

Chantal said...

Excuse me for being ignorant but I don't understand the relation of "Patience" and "Courage" with turtles. I can't see all the fabric in your quilt and maybe there are already some turtles represented in it and that's fine. Otherwise, if you don't want a big quilt, I wouldn't add the turtles. They would make a lovely baby quilt on their own. You probably have enough as is or maybe just add an alternative plain block. I really think your quilt is perfect just the way it is now. But you are the master of your ship. I'm sure I will like whatever you decide. ;^)

sue s said...

Does this mean I should get MY unity out and finish it?? I am not nearly as far as you because I got tired of the tiny tiny flying geese and had to put it in time out. I'd like to finish it this year, just in case COVID ends......
I love the words on yours too.

Barb said...

Your unity quilt is just great.
Love your letters!

dq said...

Oh wow!! I love this quilt and love your blog!!

Nann said...

The turtles will be great on the sides. The words are a super addition.

audrey said...

Love this one! Perfect to work on this time of year.:)

AnnieO said...

Another great scrap quiltalong I didn't participate in! Love your version.

Angela said...

Love it! It is so what our world needs right now.

Kate said...

Such a fun design modification to Unity. I'm looking forward to seeing those turtle borders. It turned out to be a much larger quilt than I expected. I've got 6 more blocks to make to finish the last pieced border on my version. I'm looking forward to having mine all finished.