Friday, April 09, 2021

Friday Finish

I am delighted to share that my April UFO Morewood Mystery quilt is finished! 

This was an easy mystery quilt to pick fabrics for... we chose 4 colours and a background. My choices really cheered me up over the long covid winter of 2020/21.

The 3 thread colours I picked for the quilting were green, salmon, and yellow.



The quilting is all straight line on the diagonal using the walking foot. 






I really liked the text fabric in the centre of all the orange blocks and in many of the other blocks. It's one of my favourite things about this quilt. I'm so glad I found a special quilt to use it in.



Another thing that made me happy as I was working on this quilt is that I did a good job on the pin binding. 

You can assess your pin basting success by looking at how the the quilt top looks around the pins as you are quilting. If the quilt lays flat as you are quilting, and there are no little hills that develop between the needle and the basting pins as you approach them, you are doing a good job! If you get little hills or mountains around the pins, the quilt top was not taut enough during the basting process.


The backing is a bright green butterfly fabric. The binding is a combination of the bright pink fabric and a little bit of orange on the 2 sides. I'm so pleased with all the scraps that were used up in this special quilt.


I enjoy the manageable pace of the mysteries at Meadow Mist Designs - making one step for the quilt each monthThis is my 3rd mystery quilt with Cheryl (previous mysteries are Mosaic Mystery, and Magnolia Mystery). Thank you to Cheryl for another fun quilty adventure! This quilt will be donated to my guild's comfort quilt collection. Finished size: 60" x 71"

Linking up to the Morewood linky party (where there are 300 versions of this pattern posted and I am number 301!)

Also linking up to Finished (or not) Friday at Alycia's and One Monthly Goal

13 comments:

Lyndsey said...

A beautiful quilt Kathy. I love your fabric choices, the colours work well together.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Now, those are two words I long to say "Friday Finish"! Yours is fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration!

maggie fellow said...

I really like your color choices - it would make me more cheerful as well

Miaismine said...

What a beautiful springtime quilt! Sure to cheer up the recipients!

Deanna W said...

I love the bright colours you chose. Someone will be lucky to receive it as a comfort quilt.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations on the finish! It's beautiful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love the colours you chose to use with those black on white background fabrics.

Kathy S. said...

Beautiful finish. I love the colors. The quilting is perfect for it.

Janet O. said...

This really glows, Kathy! I always enjoy seeing what thread colors you choose to use to frost your quilts. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the colors in this quilt.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on a bright and cheerful quilt finish, Kathy!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is so pretty!! I love the colors that you used!! It says - Bring on Spring and lemonade and orange popsicles!!!

Patty said...

Gorgeous finish. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and congrats on your finish!