Wednesday, April 14, 2021

New Project - Step #2

As I'm working on an improv quilt, I keep asking myself the question "what could I add to make me like this quilt more"? The answer that came to me working on my scrap challenge quilt was...  throw in a few friendship stars. Perfect for a "sister's scrap challenge" project since we are all quilting sisters!

I picked my favourite piece from the scrap pile which was a batik binding and I made it into 6" friendship star blocks. I was 1 HST short, so I used that opportunity to add one of the three selvages that I was given. See it on the bottom right?

I decided to sew the stars together with the improv crumb pieced blocks and it looked good in a 12" block. 

So that's another decision made as this will be the design unit.

What next?

5 comments:

Lyndsey said...

great idea to make the friendship stars and the block looks really good.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the friendship stars in blue! Pretty!

Janet O. said...

Oh, this is a very smart addition. Loving the "twinkle" it adds to the block.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lookin forward to seeing this quilt grow. You are off to a good start, Kathy!!

ButterZ said...

Great progress made