Thursday, October 24, 2019

Machine Quilting Class

I haven't done much teaching lately and had a desire to teach a machine quilting class. So I arranged to teach a Saturday class at Triangle Sewing on December 7th. 


feather quilting
In addition to covering the topics of basting and tools I use, the class will focus on how to quilt 3 of my favourite designs - feathers, ribbons, and swirls. 
It is a "hard sell" to convince some quilters that (after lots of practice hours) it is possible to experience great joy and find the whole machine quilting process to be very relaxing. 
But it's totally true for me! 

I finished up some small samples to hang at the store to show the designs, and this one is my favourites. I love stitching feathers both as a "fill in the space" design on small pieces, and as a border design on larger quilts. 

I really enjoy taking a piece of fabric that I have painted, then quilt it, and then add more paint or beads or text, or whatever it calls out for. It's definitely a work in progress.
I'm not sure if it should hang horizontally or vertically?

If you are interested in taking the class with me in December, you can find more details at the Triangle Sewing website.
Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

Barb said...

I wish I could take your class. Your quilting is absolutely lovely

gailss said...

Very nice...you could do another and have it hang the opposite direction Kathy
;)))

MissPat said...

Instead of a hanging sleeve, put folded triangles in all four corners on the back. Then it can be hung which ever way suits your fancy. Wish I could take your class as I'm still intimidated by feathers.
Pat

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I asked the owner of a local quilt shop if she would ever offer a FMQ class. She said yes and showed me a small quilt block that had been FMQ. It was more of a class making say...a potholder. I didn't want that. I will continue to look for a local class that simply teaches FMQ without having to create a project first.
xx, Carol

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your feathers look fantastic! I can see where FMQ could suck you in! Such pretty project

Miaismine said...

Your quilting is so lovely! Your students will be blessed to have such a wonderful teacher!

Louise said...

Your stitching is especially lovely in the variegated thread!

Deb A said...

Beautiful stitching. I really should give it a shot again on my machine.... I just get lazy and want a 'finish' and end up using the walking foot lately. Wish I was closer..... I'd take your class.

Jenny said...

Beautiful painted fabric and yourquilting is exquisite! Oh my, wish I lived close by.

Lisa J. said...

It's a beautiful sample Kathy. I started to enjoy quilting once I let go of expecting it to look really good. Once I let go of that expectation I could enjoy my progress.