Monday, October 14, 2019

Almost Amish Mystery Quilt

The quilt layout for the Humble Quilts mystery was revealed last week, but I resisted looking at the finale until I was caught up with all the steps. I like a mystery to last as long as possible because the older you get, the more the surprises you get seem to be mostly bad ones! Mystery quilts are the best kind of surprises because even if I don't love the final layout, I can play with it to create something I like better, or give it away to someone who will love it. So it's all good!



This mystery was sewn on my Sweet Baby Jayne 1964 white featherweight, and she had a few random troubles with stitching a good tension.





See how the thread wasn't tight on the back? That tension is way too loose and the whole bobbin thread comes out with a slight tug.



I realized the thread kept slipping out of the thread tension disc when I started sewing a seam at too high of a speed. See where the stitch ripper is pointing? There is no thread in that hole and there should be!
So Sweet Baby Jayne is going in for a day at the sewing machine spa soon. I think she'll also get the toe pedal loosened up, the belt replaced, and maybe get a new bobbin winder tire.



In spite of the technical difficulties, I finished the mystery top this weekend. Here it is on the design wall. I'm very happy with how my mystery turned out! It's a little darker than most of my quilts, but it used up a lot of small pieces of reproduction fabrics and it's the perfect size for a hand quilting takealong project!
Thanks to Lori for another fun mystery adventure!
Linking up to design wall Monday over at Small Quilts.

8 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love your redwork quilt on your new header! It is such a pain when machines don't behave. I hope your pretty Featherweight is back to health soon.

gailss said...

Very nice job even with tech problems and bet it feels good to finish this top. Like this pattern and very cute .

piecefulwendy said...

I've been waiting to see your finish, and I'm not disappointed. That is one gorgeous mini!

Julierose said...

This is really a gorgeous finish--I like your darker version a lot hugs, Julierose

Deb A said...

Great finish! I think these machine act up just so they can go to the spa and get some pampering! Looking forward to watching the hand quilting on this one.

Janet O. said...

Love that color palette! Gorgeous, Kathy!

Danice G said...

Really nice quilt and fabrics. Wow, that Singer is the same age as me (circa 1964). Hoping it runs better soon.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your little quilt colors mirror our late autumn landscape here, I love it!