Thursday, April 25, 2019

Scrap Dance Minuet

Step #3 was posted for the mystery scrap quilt over at Carole's. This was fun sewing as I haven't made a flying geese block using the "no waste" method in a long time. 
The "no waste" method does take more time in trimming, but it results in a perfect block every time!
I typically use the "wasteful" method of sew and flip corners (because I like the "waste" which is the bonus HST block). Most people throw those corners in the garbage, but I hoard use them. 
I think my blocks look prettier in real life than they do in these photos!


This is a photo of the cutting board beside my sewing machine. It shows how I typically sew this kind of a project. I don't enjoy lengthy periods of repetitive tasks, so I mix it up by marking a few blocks, sewing a few, pressing a few, trimming a few, and repeat until the job is done. I also like that this method forces me to get up to the iron with frequent stretches.
Is this how you sew? Or do you fully complete one step at a time? 

Looking forward to the release of step #4 next month!
And speaking of the number 4, it's day #4 of the Be a Diamond blog hop:


April 25

16 comments:

SandraC said...

Pretty flying geese😊. I'm also one that likes to get up and move myself to the iron.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like to use the flip corners as well - the bonus HSTs are fun to play with.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have done flying geese many ways and the way you show seems to produce some of my most accurate ones. I quite often keep the iron in the kitchen and get up to press - although I keep a small one in the sewing area for pressing small blocks

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Woohoo, your geese are flying nicely!!

gailss said...

I like your flying geese method of sewing and I also like to get up and move around often….find that I get antsy if I just sit and sew and don't move a bit. Can't wait to see your next step in this quilt Kathy.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very nice!!! Yes, I do not like to have to sit and work on complex blocks because one tends to sit longer at a time. Up and down is good!!!

Louise said...

This is going to be so pretty! Yes, I sew like that, too. A little bit of sewing, then iron for a while, maybe clean up for a few minutes, etc. Especially when it is time to trim HSTs, I just can't do more than 10 minutes of that at time :)

MissPat said...

I sew the same way and get up to use the big iron instead of keeping the travel iron next to me. I consider it exercise and the recommended break for your vision and muscles. I'll use the no waste method when I need multiples of the same fabric combo, but I mostly do scrappy, which means using flip and sew. They don't come out as even, but I make do. I'm caught up on Minuet this month after getting a late start in March on step 2.
Pat

Karen P said...

Your flying geese are looking good! I like to get up and move around. When you reach a certain, ahem, age your joints don't work like they used to work. It's always nice to get them moving again.

Deb A said...

I too try to do small groups and then get up and press, trim, etc. It makes it more manageable and I need to see results.... and this provides that quicker! Love flying geese.... I think I might need a table runner of them sometime soon. Small projects might actually get completed!

Janet O. said...

Those are pretty flying geese.
I usually go for the flipped corners, because who can't use more bonus triangles??? And there is less math involved. LOL
CAN NOT sit and do a step until it is finished. I have to break it up and switch it around. I have the attention span of a gnat--probably why I mostly do mini quilts.
And I don't keep an iron by my sewing machine, either. Gotta get up and move.

maggie fellow said...

I have to move around on projects too. I just don't have the patience I used to have.

Karrin Hurd said...

I need to get busy. I don’t have step 3 done yet. Yours look great though

AnnieO said...

I also like to cut a little, stitch a little, press and trim a little! It is more satisfying to me to see progress accruing with piles of pretty little blocks.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I tend to do each step at a time. Lots of 'no thinking' prepping and sewing while watching a movie.

Kate said...

I like the no waste method, it's my preferred way of making flying geese. I like to "group" my stitching too. Cut a bit, stitch a bit, press. It does mean you are up and down a lot more, but I get bored with assembly line stitching. Very pretty flying geese.