Thursday, March 07, 2019

A New Project


A baby quilt has been started using a pattern called Shadow Stars from Tied With a Ribbon.  The blocks are 8" sawtooth star blocks. Half of the blocks have a print star with a white background, and the other half are a white star on a print background. Here are the first 4 blocks... 16 more to go.

I am using fabric that was given to me by the family of my friend Helen, who was one of my quilting students many years ago. When she passed away her family gave me a big bag of her fabric. The baby quilt is for her great grandson and aside from the white fabric I have added, everything I use will be from Helen's stash. The family was not thinking of me making a baby quilt from this fabric because she passed away before this baby was conceived. I am using anything that could be considered remotely acceptable for a boy's quilt, since there was not much in terms of traditional baby fabric in the bag.

It has been a challenge to make the star points using directional fabrics. I have auditioned the pieces by folding them before sewing, and am trying to get the animals centred and facing up. SO darn cute and totally worth the effort!

14 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your extra effort with the dog print really paid off! What a wonderful way to use Helen’s fabric!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

wow, that is extra special and very much worth the extra effort! Great job. It's going to be very special!!!!

Frog Quilter said...

Baby quilts are meant to be interesting not blah. Yours will be very interesting and beautiful.

MissPat said...

I salute you for taking the time to fiddle with the dog print, This will be a wonderful gift from the heart and a remembrance for the family.
Pat

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd say 'squirrel' but this one isn't a squirrel project. Nice that you can pass on something from her to her family.

Louise said...

Oh, the family will be thrilled with this cute quilt! Using Great Grandma's fabric will make it extra special :)

Mary said...

YES, Great idea to Fold to assure the faces are in the right place. I try to avoid those dreaded directionals.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

What cute fabrics and what a neat design in doing the blocks for the quilt--
the baby getting this one will be a happy baby!!
luv, di

Robin said...

Love the fussy cut star points. So cute!

Jenny said...

Such a lovely idea to be using your friends fabric to make a very special baby quilt. I'm sure the family will be delighted.

Janet O. said...

Oh, a "Dog Star"! Very clever of you, and what a sweet gesture to make a quilt for your friend's great grandson!

Sally Ann said...

Kathy ...it will be so special to Helen's great-grand child...I have seen some of those fabrics at Helen's..such wonderful memories..

Jollygirl said...

Kathy, this quilt will mean so much to Helen's family. What a kind and thoughtful gift to make for the new baby. I love the star with dogs, so very cute!

Deanna W said...

Oh Kathy they are going to love the quilt. They may not know the effort you put into those puppies but the quilt will be a great keepsake!