Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Machine Quilting

There are only 2 more days left in the month, and I haven't quite finished my UFO projects for this month.
I have been quilting my  Pumpkin Spice Latte mystery quilt from last fall. 
using the awl to hold the curved edge in place
The flying geese blocks are constructed using a 3D method so when the edge of the triangle is pulled back, it makes a curved edge you can stitch on. There was a lot of coordination involved in moving the quilt along under the free motion foot with my left hand, while holding the edge with my awl in my right hand.

I don't know how good this photo will show up, but hopefully you can see how the quilting lines are curved along the edges of the 3D blocks. It was fun to figure out some continuous stitching paths. I don't think there is a straight quilting line to be seen on this project!
Now to get the binding done!

10 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

You are well on your way to another finish this month! I have made a quilt using that technique as well.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looks like quite a project! I imagine you will be glad to have this one done.

Julierose said...

Lovely stitching...such a pretty pattern...looks like Cathedral Windows pattern...hugs, Julierose

Teresa said...

Looks great. I have used my auto feed foot (or walking foot) to do honeycomb pattern as the curves are so gentle. My bobbin tension is very good with this foot as well. The free motion foot still is difficult for me to get right, although I have been working on that.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looking good - look forward to seeing the finish

Louise said...

Yes! The stitching shows up really well on the back and it's so fun to see :)

Janet O. said...

Good looking quilting, Kathy. I don't think I am coordinated enough to do something like that!

Deanna W said...

Very cool and great job!

Kate said...

Beautiful quilting! Hope you can make quick work of the binding.

sandi s said...

Your quilting looks wonderful! Hugs,