Sunday, March 11, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Do you live somewhere in the world where you put your clocks ahead 1 hour last night? Daylight savings time begins which means 1 hour less of sleep last night, and 1 more hour of daylight in the days to come. 
That means more light for hand stitching! Why not get out  your favourite project and a cup of tea, and go sit by a window to enjoy some natural light and relaxation.




My current favourite project is hand embroidered blocks, and this is the one most recently finished. Out of the 4 blocks I've stitched for the "i stitch club 2018" by Gail Pan, it's my favourite so far - the blue bird of happiness!







Here is a tip for those who do hand stitching and want to use up scraps to stitch on, but need the background piece to be large enough to fit into a hoop. 
I use a large basting stitch to join smaller background scraps so that the piece is large enough to work on comfortably in a hoop. Then, once the design is stitched, you just remove the basting/joining stitches and trim to size.

What are you going to work on today? Link up your blog post below and share you hand stitching with us. And I hope you'll join us next week for the next Photo Challenge linkup!


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   



20 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your embroidery is very pretty. This will be a very nice wall hanging.

Ivani said...

pretty and happy little blue bird. Enjoy your 1st day with Summer time. Happy slow stitching.

FrugalLittleBungalow said...

I like your happy little bird ! :)

Turid said...

That blue bird stitchery is so cute. Love it.

CathieJ said...

That blue bird of happiness is so cute. I hope he is welcoming in Spring!

Sarah said...

That little blue bird is lovely, especially love his tail! I got a start when I began to read you blog I thought I had missed changing the clocks. But its ok the UK doesn't change until the end of March! Have a great day!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Lovely stitching and that's a great tip. I don't like to use that tiniest hoop anymore and basting some fabric would be a good solution.

The Cozy Quilter said...

It makes me happy to see your blue bird! Can’t wait for the next photo challenge!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I also meant to say how much I like your header with the pretty quilting angel.

SandraC said...

Oh, that's a great tip! Seeing yours in the bright cheery colours makes me want to change mine.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty embroidery - I will be doing some EPP today

Kathy S. said...

Love that little bird from I stitch club! I still adore the bottles with the flowers in them too.

Deb said...

I love Gail Pan's little bird pattern and yours turned out lovely. The other pieces are sweet too. I love using up scraps for small embroidery pieces I have used the basting to larger fabric too after an Ah-ha moment a few months ago, before that I used double sided tape or spray adhesive.

AnnieO said...

Such a cute stitchery! I bought a new pattern and can’t wait to get started.
I’d be happy to see the end of DST but it’s getting bigger instead of smaller!

Miaismine said...

What a great party today! You know, your party has inspired me over the years - such a part of my stitching life! Thank you for hosting!

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Anonymous said...

Gail Pan designs are always super cute. I love her birds and your blue bird is just adorable. Great idea to baste small pieces together. Thank you for taking the time to organize and host today's stitch along.

Nancy said...

Your tip for basting another piece of fabric to a short edge is what I've sometimes done when I get to the edge of a quilt and the backing is too short. It works well!
Your embroidery pieces are delightful.
Thanks for hosting Slow Sunday Stitching.

Jill said...

It is great hand stitching by natural light almost worth losing the extra hour. Darling embroidered bluebird block. Perfect as we approach spring,

MissPat said...

Is that a new header for the blog? I just noticed the Jim Shore angel. Haven't seen that one before.
Pat