Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Mysteries Being Finished

Super Bowl Mystery 2014
This year was the 5th year that my "Sew 'n Sews" group has tackled a Super Bowl mystery adventure (see how I threw in a football verb there?!?!) These events are hosted by Kris Driessen of Quiltbug. She writes a mystery pattern and at 10 am on Super Bowl day she starts posting the instructions for the quilt. A new step is posted every hour until we finish the quilt top. It's so much fun and we really enjoy the day together every year.
2017 mystery quilt

I thought it would be fun to review the 5 years of quilts:


2014 Appian Way Log Cabin in bright pink, orange and green

2015 Neighbourhood Garden with gardening theme fabrics

2016 Peekaboo in blues and greys

2017 Ghosts and Mosts in golds and rust

2018 Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue in train themed fabrics


In reviewing the mysteries I was disappointed to notice that none of them have become a finished quilt yet, even though I like them all! This situation needed to be remedied!
I signed up for the Hearts to Hand Charity Quilt Challenge as motivation to get these quilts finished. One of the categories is to donate a quilt top to Victoria's Quilts and that is where the 2017 mystery quilt will be going. That pattern was designed as a square quilt, but I made 8 more blocks into 2 more rows and made it a bed size quilt.


2018 mystery quilt backing
I also got to work on finishing the most recent mystery quilt. The first step was to piece a backing and this was made from leftover pieces from the mystery plus 2 striped fat quarters from my stash. Piecing a backing is like making another whole quilt and some people really dislike it. But I enjoy the process of building with scraps, which is kind of like doing a jigsaw puzzle.

Next step is pin basting and then on to the quilting!

Linking up to Sew Fresh Quilts.

7 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

I share your passion for putting scraps together and making pretty things out of the. Love your tops and your motivation for finishing them for a great cause. Hugs.

Kate said...

A very fun list of mystery quilts. Mystery quilts are one of my favorite ways to use up older stash.

Janet O. said...

You are more patient than I am when it comes to piecing a back. I might do a little bit of piecing, but not a whole 'nuther quilt top's worth!
This is a fun tradition you ladies share, and you have made some great quilts.

Mari said...

Your mysteries sound like fun! I'm one of those who won't piece a backing. Might as well make it another quilt! Have fun with the finishing!

Cheryl said...

What a fun way to run a mystery quilt. Beautiful design!

Mary said...

Fun group of gals to make Mystery Memories with. Sew-on!!

Barb said...

love those super bowl quilts. I miss sewing with a group - what fun!