Monday, December 23, 2013

Design Wall Monday

There is a lot to enjoy in quilt blog land today. It is Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and the week 4 link up for Celtic Solstice at Quiltville

This was on my design wall at the end of last week - step #3 of the Celtic Solstice mystery. I was not a happy camper. There was not enough contrast in these blocks for my liking. The colours are way off in the photo and makes the pinks look purple. I sure hope the rest of the quilt design will perk up these duds!


Then I got busy cutting and sewing strips for step #4.
Doesn't that look so cool how the fabric swirls like that behind the machine?!? It looks like ribbon candy!


I was much happier with my blocks from step #4. They are simple four patches but they look pretty on the wall and could be their own quilt. But they are part of a much larger mission, and I can't wait to see the next step being released on Friday!
It is amazing that I have been able to keep up with the mystery at this busy time of year. 

The main reason I am completely caught up is because my shopping and wrapping for Christmas is not finished. 

And the reason for that is the ice storm we had over the weekend.
Most places in town, including my house, had no hydro, so we spent a lot of time at my parents, who thankfully had power most of the time. 
That meant they also ended up with most of the extended family hanging out at their house to stay warm!
This is the view of my parent's house from the sidewalk. Many tree branches snapped off or were hanging to the ground from the weight of the ice. The sound when a branch breaks and falls to the ground is surreal - a loud crack followed by a smashing sound, like a thousand glasses shattering. 
Our power was restored by last night and the house is warm once again. I sure hope tomorrow is better for driving and finishing up Christmas preparations.

20 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Ice-covered tree branches are pretty, but those ice storms can do a lot of damage! We were without power for 7 days back in 2006 ... not fun! Glad you've got power back and hope you can get finished up for Christmas.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Glad your safe and warm, hopefully no frozen pipes. I have lived thru that once no fun. I sure do love to see how your Bonnie mystery is progressing. I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to try one. But this one does have me watching.

genie said...

A Very Merry Christmas to you and your family. I am so happy I have found your blog and meme. They are both an inspiration to slow down even more. genie

Anita said...

Love your colors!
We also had an ice storm on Friday here in OK, and it is the first time I have experienced one. We didn't loose power though.

beaquilter said...

they look great!! and yay for Christmas presents being all wrapped and done.... me too, except mine are in the jacuzzi tub, because Sonja likes to get into things and Peanut likes to remove the branches off the bottom of the tree, so from 4ft and up our tree is nice, 4ft and down it looks like the charlie brown tree ;) merry christmas

Deanna W said...

Stay safe...it does look pretty but all those complications that come with the ice storm. I have never had to deal with that but I will take the snow and even cold instead.I haven't decided yet if I am doing the Bonnie Hunter Mystery..waiting a little more. Take care and Merry Christmas friend. Hope Santa is very good to you!!!

Bonnie said...

I'm all for heat as we were without it for 5 days in late October 2008. An early snow caused that one. You sound so mellow -- I'm feeling some what frantic now but I'm taking a few minutes to read a couple of the blogs from Patchwork Times. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Oh boy--ice is the worst! We have a LOT of snow, but it's not as bad as that ice. I'm worried about my contrast too--Easy Street was a bit of a disaster for me last year and I don't want a repeat!

Aby Dolinger said...

Perhaps the Pinwheels will blend nicely (after all) when Bonnie posts the layout for the quilt. Don't despair!

Janet O. said...

The subtlety of you pinwheel blocks will give your quilt its own look, and in a sea of quilts that look the same, that will be refreshing. : )
Wow, that ice storm looks (and sounds) scary. Sure can throw a wrench in the works of Christmas Prep.

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! Winter sure does get nasty sometimes, doesn't it? It is shaping up to be a pretty gloomy winter here in Nashville even though we really haven't had much bitter cold. We even had tornado warnings two nights ago! Your CS blocks are going to be fine! It's fun watching them all come to life :*)

Mary said...

When we live in the North, we get used to the Winter Blizzards and Ice storms. Sorry you had to leave your house. Looks like you had more Slow Stitching time. I'm anxious to see where these Block parts will end up for the CS Quilt. Lots of Guesses in the Links over on Quiltville. Merry Christmas- Stay Warm!

Andee said...

Your mystery is coming along! Sometimes it is hard to envision the finished quilt will you are not happy with an individual part..I suspect it will all work out though!

Vireya said...

The pictures of the ice-covered trees look beautiful, but an ice-storm sounds horrible.

It will be fun to see how Bonnie puts all these parts together!

Sharon said...

I hate ice storms! So dangerous. Love your 4-patches!

Cathi said...

I'm glad you got your power back. It's too cold to be without heat!
Your quilt is going to look lovely. I like the low contrast pinwheel blocks - they will give the eyes somewhere to rest.

AnnieO said...

My Christmas shopping and wrapping isn't finished either but I don't have an ice storm to blame! They are predicting 80 degrees on Christmas Day in SoCalif. Love your patches!

Barb said...

I hope you have a fabulous Christmas and stay warm...your quilts look wonderful.

Kate said...

The ice storm put me behind as well. CS is looking good. I am ready to see the next clue.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Hope you are staying safe and warm.. We've seen some of the pictures on the news and I spoke to my mom who is in Hamilton and it sounds like a mess. I survived to ice storm that hit Montreal in 1998 and it wasn't fun so I hope you are OK.