Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery Celtic Solstice is starting on Friday and I am so excited! I have enjoyed every Bonnie mystery quilt I have sewn since the inaugural mystery in 2008.This is my Quiltville mystery inventory:
1. Carolina Crossroads - started in 2008 and finished in 2010
2. Orange Crush - started in 2008 and finished in 2009
3. Double Delight - started and finished in 2009
4. Carolina Christmas - started in 2009 and half the blocks became a finished quilt in 2011 (the other half are still in a pile)
5. Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll - started 2010 and still waiting for borders
6. Orca Bay - started in 2011 and hoping to become a finished quilt this month!
7. Easy Street - started in 2012 and very close to being a finished top
I notice that sometimes I follow Bonnie's colour recommendations fairly closely (Easy Street) and sometimes I veer off randomly in a totally different direction (Orca Bay). Sometimes the decision is based on my fabric stash and what I have that will fit the fabric requirements, and sometimes I get inspiration from brand new yardage.
For this year's mystery I am starting with fabric from a Buggy Barn line called "Angels Among Us". I bought some yardage at Ye Olde Fabric Shoppe in Stratford, and am adding scraps and stash pieces that fit with my colour choices.
Neutrals are the background, gold is the yellow, pink is the orange, red is the green and black is the blue. This only makes sense if you have seen Bonnie's fabric requirements and I am writing it out here for when I forget what my plan was!!
In checking my fabric values, I have one pile of background lights, two light mediums, one dark medium and one dark dark.
I am a little worried that the gold and pink piles show up as the same value, but hope it will all work out okay. My philosophy for sewing mystery quilts is, if you pick fabric you love, you will probably love your finished quilt.
And I love this fabric, so it's all good!
Will you be sewing along?!?