Sunday, November 13, 2011

Michigan Stash Dash

Every year my sisters, my Mom and I go away for a women's weekend. This year we decided to combine the getaway with the Michigan Stash Dash since my little sister lives in Michigan. 
The problem was that none of us remembered that the date was 11-11-11 and it was Veteran's Day in the US. So the border crossing was a nightmare - 4 hours parked on the highway and then inching across the Blue Water bridge in Sarnia and finally through the interrogation. So by the time we actually got to the first quilt store, it was already 4 pm. At the second store which was small, there was a busload of shoppers, so we couldn't really see anything and by that time we were too exhausted anyway. Over the 2 days of traveling we were able to get to 5 of the 8 stores. 
It was fun to collect the little charms and to see the lovely projects in each store, but it was difficult to focus. 
The whole experience was so stressful that we didn't really feel like shopping at all. I made a few little purchases to finish up 2 of my quilts and some fabric to add to my collection for Bonnie Hunter's new mystery (starting next Friday - click here for the fabric requirements).  I think I don't need to do any shop hopping for a long time! 

7 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

besides the traffic nightmare, sounds like it would have been fun, you guys should have spent the night at your sisters, and then just woke up Saturday morning, and did the hop, you would have had much more fun, and more time to visit. I am from Michigan, I will have to keep an eye on this for next year, and maybe plan my visits around it.

Diane said...

oh that sounds like a nightmare for sure---and must have been if quilt shopping therapy couldn't help!! :)

scraphappy said...

Too bad your plans didn't work out, it sounds like it should have been a fun weekend, but hopefully you will find enough in your stash to keep you going for a while longer.

Mary said...

I did miss seeing your DWM posting last week. Sorry the braces are giving you fits! I like to Shop Hop but the miles I have to travel to get all the shops, just don't justify it for me. This year they gave away BATIKS which I don't collect so it was easy to skip it. I'd like the little charms.

Janet O. said...

When visiting New England last fall we tried to hit some quilt shops, but it was Columbus Day (what were we thinking?) and the shops were closed. It seemed also that every historic place we planned on visiting was hosting a bus tour and we had long waits. I feel your pain--though your experience sounds even worse than mine.
I like the little charms. Our shop hop doesn't do anything like that.

Ellen said...

Sorry to hear that your plans didn't quite work out. At least you did have good company! I really enjoy spending time with my sisters.

Darlene said...

I'm so sorry to read that your week end was very stressful. Looking forward to something and then not enjoying it is definitely not a good thing.