Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Hunter's Star Finished

On Friday I attended my favorite "Ladies of the Evening" class - click here if you missed reading about it. One of the things we did at the class was to show some of our finished projects from previous classes. I was able to finish my spring project with about 15 minutes to spare! Okay, I will admit that I even enlisted the help of my friend Louise to finish hand stitching the binding down...we both worked on it over a cup of tea before the class. It's good to have a deadline to motivate a finish!

I stitched in the ditch and then wanted to add some texture with hand quilting using perle cotton thread. But I didn't enjoy the process of that stitching and found it very hard on my hands. I was only able to pull the thread through by using a needle grabber...it was tough going! 



I finished quilting the cream coloured diamonds, and it is highly unlikely that the green ones will ever be stitched!
Here are 3 of us from the spring class with our Hunter Star quilts in various stages of completeness!
I love my quilt and am proudly displaying it on my dining room table for the Christmas season.

15 comments:

Janet O. said...

I do like the Hunter star pattern--yours is perfect for Christmas, but would be fine anytime of year.
I've never quilted with perle cotton, but if it is hard on your hands I am not likely to ever do it. Is it always hard on your hands or was a particular type of batting or tightly woven fabric the culprit?

Diane said...

yeah for another finish! The hand quilting on the cream diamonds looks great and I think leaving the green ones alone is fine. I've never made this pattern but have quilted several for people - it's so pretty in any fabrics, very versatile.

Candace said...

I love your quilt and I'm sure it will add to the Christmas spirit. I agree with Janet that it would be lovely any time of the year.

Rose Marie said...

You have done very well with UFO's this year and I love your latest finish! Perfect for Xmas!

Heather said...

Lovely wall hanging. This is such a pretty pattern especially when you have a big contrast in fabrics likeyou chose. My Tuesday post this week is a quilt show of works by my mother. Hope you'll visit.

AnnieO said...

It IS hard to pull the heavier perle cotton through, and sometimes difficult to find the finer one in big box stores! It gives a great effect, though, and I'm glad you like it. Wonderful for the holidays. Congrats on another finish!

Sally Ann said...

Love this quilt Kathy! I am for sure going to try this pattern!! and Yes another UFO done and checked off the list! It's going to look great for Christmas!

Becky said...

Love a FINISH!!! Great job! Enjoy using it this holiday season!

Kate said...

Very pretty! Love the color combination. Congrats on the finish too!

scraphappy said...

Deadlines are such a powerful motivating force. Great looking quilt.

antique quilter said...

looks great! love the idea of using it during the holidays on your table! congrats on a great finsih
Kathie

Jeanne said...

Nice finish, Kathy, and just in time! I really like the mystery from two posts before, too. You are one busy and productive gal!

Vivian said...

Another finish for you. Your list of "done" UFOs is impressive. You took that challenge and went full speed with it this year.
I've seen a variety of ways to make the Hunter Star block, and I'm hoping to make a project myself some day soon. I think I own a specialty ruler for it, just another one bought and not being used. Shame on me.

Gari in AL said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I have wanted to do a hunter's star quilt but it seems to never make it to the top of the list. Maybe next year.

Ellen said...

Your little quilt really is quite lovely - I am really attracted to the green! Great job on getting another quilt done and I love that you are using it.