Saturday, June 29, 2024

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

I haven't written an RSC post for a while and it is long overdue! I have been playing in my scraps and setting the world to rights by organizing little rectangles!

My blocks are inspired by a friend's quilt with one light round, and the other rounds will be medium or dark fabric. I have 6 light rectangles clipped together for each block (2 yellow, 3 light blue/teal and 1 pink). I'm also cutting random scraps in other sizes to use up the small bits.

Here are my first 2 blocks on the design wall today - one with a yellow contrast round, and one with a light blue contrast round. 

Yes! It is working well! I will need 20 blocks for a useable sized quilt and each block uses 32 rectangles, for a grand total of 640 scraps! That should make a big dent in the scrap bin don't you think?!? 

Linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've also been making some potato chips. You would think that enough to make a decent sized quilt would make a dent in the scraps but unfortunately that's not happening! I think it's going to take at least 5 quilts to make a dent! Happy stitching!

Amy said...

Those yellows! <3
Great scrap-busting blocks.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I have started cutting up rectangles to make potato chip blocks. I’m using batiks. I like your blocks!

Kate said...

Very fun blocks! I'm not sure there is any one pattern that will make a dent in my scrap bins. Fingers crossed this one does that with yours.

scraphappy said...

With so many great scrap blocks coming out, you would think the scrap bin would get emptier, it never seems to work that way though.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those blocks are so fun, Kathy! I love that they just take rectangles - that makes for easy cutting. What size do your blocks end up?

Nancy said...

I recently watched Mt Scrapemores video on this potato chip block. I keep thinking I am going to get busy with my scrapes but so far it hasn’t happened.

Chantal said...

The word "should" in your last question, is the key word. The answer, unfortunately, is no; but the blocks look great. Enjoy! ;^)

Sara said...

This will be a great scrap buster project. So colorful and fun. Great job! I have a whole bin full of those little rectangles too just waiting to be used. I do have a few of those same blocks hanging in the closet, but will need more for a full quilt.

time4stitchn said...

I have to say thank you for the incentive to work on little cross stitch blocks. You sent me down a rabbit hole with your monthly minis. It is very relaxing to work on, except when I miscount. Thanks for always hosting your Sunday Stitching.